[N8VEM: 17331] Fwd: Re: Update Notice -- Z180 SBC Mark IV board, rev. 1.00
Wolfgang Kabatzke
2014-02-15 20:03:41 UTC
Hi John, hi friends,

my SBC MarK IV maked today the first "life signs".

- Serial communication is running
- SD-Card workaround is coming tomorrow
- ESB-Interface is running, but it looks so that I have some "cold" Pins

There must be a bigger problem on my SBC. When I use Drive B: and I will
copy files to A: the system hangs up.

Have You an idea whats wrong? I thing the MMU make problems... Maybe an
cold welded pin ...

I hope for more and better news the next time

Best regards

Wolfgang
--
Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hansastrasse 9

DE - 21 502 Geesthacht
Deutschland / Germany

Phone: +49 4152 93 18 130 NEW!!!
Wayne Warthen
2014-02-16 01:30:41 UTC
HI Wolfgang,

First of all, I assume you are using the alpha version of the RomWBW
software that I posted for the board. I have not tested it for floppy
operation although I have no reason to believe it would be a problem. Are
you using the DiskIO V3 for floppy operation?

Your hangup problem sounds exactly like symptoms that I have experienced
many times before and always wound up tracking it back to a poor power or
ground connection to the floppy drives. Adding a ground strap typically
fixed the problems.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Warthen
2014-02-16 02:30:13 UTC
As a follow-up, I just set up my Mark IV with the DiskIO V3. It is working
great with two floppy drives attached. I am able to copy files between the
drives with no trouble.

My initial testing was at 18MHz with 1 I/O wait state which worked fine. I
then tried 36MHz and was able to get that working by increasing the I/O
wait states to 3. I am kind of amazed it worked.

--Wayne
2014-02-16 03:31:49 UTC
Wayne,

I had always assumed that the I/O wait states would have to be set to 4
when running at 36Mhz. But at 18Mhz, 1 I/O w.s. means 3 clocks per I/O
cycle; so at 36Mhz, 3 I/O w.s. is only 5 clocks per I/O cycle. But those
are pretty short clock periods.

I would guess that most depends upon the speed of the chip at the receiving
end of the I/O operation.

At 18Mhz, I would assume that you were running at 0 memory wait states, and
at 36Mhz just 1 memory wait state. Is this the case? BTW: with a
14.31818Mhz oscillator, I've been able to run at 28Mhz at 0 memory wait
states using the 2x clock multiplier.

--John
Wayne Warthen

Wolfgang Kabatzke
2014-02-16 10:04:51 UTC
Hello John and Wayne,

I fixed the problem. I set the CPU-clk-Factor to "1" and the WAIT-States
to as shown in the screen-shot and now itÂŽs working.

ThankÂŽs for help!

Best regards

Wolfgang

The next steps are tests of ECB-Bus and the work together with other
ECB-components.
--
Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hansastrasse 9

DE - 21 502 Geesthacht
Deutschland / Germany

Phone: +49 4152 93 18 130 NEW!!!
Wolfgang Kabatzke
2014-02-16 09:18:57 UTC
Hi Wayne,

the SBC MARK IV is allone in the rack, there is no other PCB on the
backplane.

The ocsillator frequency is 18,432 MHz. The other informations about
Wait-state etc. are on the following screen.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Wayne Warthen
2014-02-16 15:32:04 UTC
Hi Wolfgang,

Very glad you got it working. I don't know why I thought you were
referring to floppy disks -- my mistake.

I am still a little confused though. It seems like you got it to work by
using more aggressive timing. I can't imagine why that would improve
things. I guess you can't argue with success though.

--Wayne
Wolfgang Kabatzke
2014-02-16 21:29:43 UTC
Hi Wayne,

a reduction of WAIT-States improves the speed of each computer-system.
And I think thatÂŽs important to test an systems and figrure out the
limits of an system. The next 1-2 weeks I have no spare time to start
more test. But: IÂŽm generating my private RomWBW 2.6.2 with support of
RAMF, DiskIO V3 and may be PropIO and then IÂŽm stating the tests with
ECB-support. And I must fix the 2 wires for SD-support.

I have an special question to You and all friends:

We have now SD-Card, CF-card, harddisk- and RAMFloppy-support up to
partition sizes of 8MB. I have the "Walnut-Creek" CPM-CD with many
intersting files on it. Is there the "only and one way" to copy files to
such media device with the help of XM? Or is there an program or an
other simple solution to copy files on my PC to such CPM-media?

Has anybody an idea or an solution?

Best regards

Wolfgang

2014-02-17 01:36:50 UTC
I've dealt with this problem before: file transfer into the CP/M
filesystem. Half of the solution exists in the code for the Mini-M68K.

I would suggest a "compatibility mode" CF card or SD card. It would be
formatted with a DOS partition table on sector 0. The second partition
would be identified as a "segmented CP/M" partition. This would be the
existing 8 x 8Mb partitions on the first sectors of the medium.
Thankfully, Wayne & Doug left boot space at the beginning of every CP/M
partition, so this is easily possible with no conflict with the DOS
partition table. Then the first partition would specify a DOS FAT16/32
partition beyond the end of the segmented CP/M filesystems. The method
suggested here is applicable to media >64Mb in capacity.

This partitioning scheme is easy to set up under Linux, but would require a
setup (fdisk?) utility under CP/M.

This partitioning scheme has worked for me on digital cameras (2 Canons),
Windoze, and Linux. Cameras and Windoze apparently look only at partition
1 of a CF or SD card, and it does not have to specify the lower sector
numbers on the medium.

Then what is needed is a utility to transfer files from DOS FAT16/32
to/from CP/M. The DOS read of FAT16 is already implemented in the BIOS of
the Mini-M68K -- in the C language (gcc) for portability.

I have my hands full at the moment, so I won't be launching into such a
project in the near term.

--John

Max Scane
2014-02-17 01:51:39 UTC
I have done something similar with my own setup. On the Mark IV have
implemented a standard MBR/Partition table on the compact flash. I'm only
using primary partitions at the moment so I have up to 4 available. But
that will give me enough to have CP/M 2.2, CP/M 3 and MP/M with a common
partition as well.

I have written a utility to read a FAT based SD card (FAT 16/32) for file
transfer from my laptop. It is only one way (read) at the moment but it is
getting there. There is not a lot of difference between FAT 16 and 32 from
a programming point of view. The Mark IV is great because it has the two
types of media, CF for main disk and SD for file xfer.

Regards,

Max
Post by Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hi Wayne,
a reduction of WAIT-States improves the speed of each computer-system.
And I think thatŽs important to test an systems and figrure out the limits
of an system. The next 1-2 weeks I have no spare time to start more test.
But: IŽm generating my private RomWBW 2.6.2 with support of RAMF, DiskIO V3
and may be PropIO and then IŽm stating the tests with ECB-support. And I
Wayne Warthen
2014-02-17 06:20:14 UTC
This issue of having a simple way to get files form a host machine to a
CP/M machine has come up repeatedly. The concepts that John and Max
described are absolutely the right answer and hopefully they can be fleshed
out at some point.

In the meantime, I do have a simple toolset that I have been using for some
time now to create an image that can be copied to floppy, SD Card, or CF
Card media (also SIMH emulator disks). You dump the files you want into a
directory structure, run the script, and out comes an image that is ready
to copy to the appropriate media. This solution is specific to Windows and
uses PowerShell for the automation.

For anyone that wants to try it, I have placed "ImageMaker" in the RomWBW
distribution directory of the Wiki The zip archive with the toolset is
found at http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/file/75189254/ImageMaker.zip. If
you want to just review the documentation, you can view it at
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/75189311/ImageMaker.

As I said, this is an interim solution, but is much faster than XModem if
you want to get a lot of files moved over quickly.

Thanks,

Wayne
Max Scane
2014-02-17 22:01:58 UTC
Bob Devries
2014-02-17 22:09:49 UTC
Max Scane
2014-02-17 22:16:09 UTC
Hi Bob, that looks pretty interesting. I'm not sure what would be required
to write a client for cp/m but it might be do-able.

Cheers!

Max
Post by Bob Devries
Hi Max,
have you considered a PC-based file server with a client on CP/M.
I'm a Tandy Colour Computer fan, and there's software called DRIVEWIRE
which allows the Colour Computer to get files from the PC server (a Java
App). The DRIVEWIRE software looks like a disk drive to the Colour Computer.
https://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/
Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia
2014-02-17 22:45:58 UTC
I've seen the same thing done with Apple DOS and ProDOS for the Apple II
series: http://adtpro.com/vdrive.html

In theory, this should be possible to implement with CP/M. You'd need to
rewrite parts of the BIOS to use the UART instead of the disk to read/write
sectors. The program on the PC server side would be fairly small (a couple
hundred lines of code and could be written in just about any language).

I wouldn't be surprised if someone had already done it...

Max Scane
2014-02-17 23:04:21 UTC
No need really. CP/M has had a network client in CP/Net for a long time.

I use it with Hector's cp/net server (on linux) all the time and it works
brilliantly!

http://p112.sourceforge.net/index.php?cpnet

Sadly my Windows programming skills are not as good as I would like (how do
you access the serial port?).

Now if someone could port this to windows, and add multi-client support
with maybe a read-only common area, then we would be set!

Regards,

Max
Bob Devries
2014-02-18 09:08:15 UTC
Wayne,
I have tried to find a URL to download PowerShell for Windows XP, but could not find it. I know it should be on the Microsoft site(s) somewhere.

Can you send a link?

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia

Wayne Warthen
2014-02-18 16:48:55 UTC
Hi Bob,

The link to the PowerShell download for Windows XP is
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7217

As I looked at this, I realized that you will also need to install the .Net
framework version 2.0 as a prerequisite. The link to download that is
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16614

I admit this is a lot of brain damage just to get the scripts working.
Unfortunately, Windows XP pre-dated PowerShell.

Thanks,

Wayne

oscarv
2014-02-18 16:25:08 UTC
All,

In terms of easy file exchange, you may have missed this simple solution:

1. Use one of these cheap USB CF/SD/whatever memory card readers;
2. install cpmcbfs on windows or cpmfuse on Linux;
3. provide cpmcbfs with the RomWBW diskdefs file;

Your PC can now mount/read/write RomWBW-formatted CF or SD cards.

See this earlier thread (link)<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/n8vem/l-7Z3_ZawWI>
.

Regards,

Oscar.