[N8VEM: 17077] Looking for 8086 PCB, max mode
joe.herdler-/
2014-01-10 13:37:55 UTC

I am looking for an 8086 single board computer or S-100 max mode printed circuit board. I wish to start experimenting with max mode 8086 programming and possible multi processor systems.

Thank you much in advance!

Joe Herdler
Alastair Boyanich
2014-01-11 12:28:34 UTC
Hi Joe,

Check out the SBC-188. It's pretty easy to assemble and has upto a 25Mhz 80188 CPU with 512kb ram. It uses ECB bus though rather than S100. There's also a 4MEM board that will give it more ram in 16kb EMS blocks that can be built.

Al

Hi,

Sergey
2014-01-12 03:31:58 UTC
John Monahan has S-100 8086 and 8088 boards:
http://s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/8088%20Board/8088%20CPU%20Board.htm
http://s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/8086%20Board/8086%20CPU%20Board.htm

Now from your other post I assume you want to experiment with 8089 (and
perhaps 8087) coprocessor. Boards listed above don't have socket for any of
these. 8087 interface would be fairly simple, it mostly gets connected in
parallel with 8086/88 (it has an interrupt output for error reporting,
which you connect connect to an available interrupt line, or just keep
hanging). I don't remember all the 8089 details, but I believe it's
interface was a bit more involved, as it has a few more DMA control signals.

If you decide to design a board yourself, consider using 8088 or NEC V20
instead of 8086... their 8-bit external data bus makes it easier to
interface processor with 8-bit memory and I/O devices. While 8086 would get
a slight speed advantage (if running on the same frequency as 8088), I am
sure speed is not your concern if you decided to experiment with these
ancient processors.
Joe Herdler
2014-01-12 06:29:10 UTC
 Hi Sergey,

You are correct, I do want to experiment with both the 8089 and 8087 co-processors. I have found some of the Intel 8089 development documentation, a really decent little manual by the late Adam Osbourn, and am still looking for the Intel ASM89 code. To be honest, I have never used an S-100 system, but feel that it has great potential for experimentation.

Thank you for the links, and I will be contacting John about an 8086 board.

Best,

Joe

Consciousness affects the medium. Think happy, be happy, and happiness will follow you.

Hi,

Sergey
2014-01-12 21:28:26 UTC
Joe,

I am not an S-100 expert, but I think Multibus (or perhaps some
simplification of it) is more suitable for multiprocessor 808x systems.
There are multiple documents, including some Intel ones that describe
implementation multiprocessor systems using 8289 bus arbiter.

For example iAPX 88 book (in Application Examples chapter, Figure 4-14), or
in iAPX 86/88 User Manual (AP-51):
http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/intel/_dataBooks/1981_iAPX_86_88_Users_Manual.pdf

Thanks,
Sergey
Joe Herdler
2014-01-13 02:50:42 UTC
Hi Sergey,

You are quite right, a Multi-bus system is far more useable for multi-processor / parallel systems. But I need to get up to speed with co-processors first, though I am decent at 8086 programming, I have never used (directly) an 8087 or 8089. Thus, I want to experiment for a couple of years with an S-100 board system first.

Thank you for your thoughts!

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:28 PM, Sergey <skiselev-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

Joe,

I am not an S-100 expert, but I think Multibus (or perhaps some simplification of it) is more suitable for multiprocessor 808x systems. There are multiple documents, including some Intel ones that describe implementation multiprocessor systems using 8289 bus arbiter.

For example iAPX 88 book (in Application Examples chapter, Figure 4-14), or in iAPX 86/88 User Manual (AP-51):
http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/intel/_dataBooks/1981_iAPX_86_88_Users_Manual.pdf

Thanks,
Sergey

On Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:29:10 PM UTC-8, Joe Herdler wrote:
 Hi Sergey,
Sergey
2014-01-13 03:56:51 UTC
Joe,

Unless you're really insisting on S-100 a much easier way to get a working
8088 system system with co-processor is to use one of IBM PC/XT/clones...
Motherboards for these systems are pretty cheap - $40-$60 on eBay. It will
take a few tens of $$ to make a working system (add a power supply, disk
controller + disk drive, video card). One of major advantages of these
systems is the great software support - more or less anything that runs on
MS-DOS.

I think it should be possible to connect a 8089 to such a system as well...
perhaps build a small board that would connect to 8087 socket. That socket
has all necessary signals for co-processor connection, excluding
DMA-specific and interrupt signals (interrupt lines are available on ISA).

(And if you want a build PC-compatible 8088 board yourself, I have some Xi
8088 PCBs: http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/59325872/Xi%208088)

Thanks,
Sergey
Joe Herdler
2014-01-14 19:00:35 UTC
Hi Sergey,

That Xi 8088 looks like an incredible board! How much would you want for one of those? It would be quite helpful to have a DOS machine. And I do like the idea of passive backplanes!

Thank you again,

Joe Herdler

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:56 PM, Sergey <skiselev-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

[...]

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:50:42 PM UTC-8, Joe Herdler wrote:
Hi Sergey,
Sergey
2014-01-14 21:50:21 UTC
Joe,

See the following page for prices and availability of PCBs (scroll down for
Xi 8088 project):
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/35044530/PCB%20Inventory

Add shipping - $3 in US, $10 or more outside of US (depending on package
weight).

Thanks,
Sergey
Andrew Bingham
2014-01-15 00:21:10 UTC
One of my friends has a box of ~10 passive ISA SBCs including 286s and 386s
that he saved from way back when. They were popular as ways to upgrade
older systems (remove the 8088 from your XT, install ISA card, run a little
connector to where the 8088 used to be).

As a fan of the early Wing Commander games, I would really love to see an
ISA 386 solution that we could build that would let some of those older
games run with classic ISA sound cards...
joe.herdler-/
2014-01-15 14:44:05 UTC
Post by Joe Herdler
[...]
If you can wait until the twenty fourth, I will Pay-pal you 50 dollars for
an IAS backplane and an Xi8088 board. I am really excited about putting
together a DOS box especially one that I truly built myself! I want to
start coding again with my old Borland Pascal and Assembler, and such a
computer will be perfect. No Windows overhead!

Thanks again,

Joe
Sergey

Joe Herdler
2014-01-22 12:29:51 UTC
Hi Sergey,

What is your Pay-Pal address? I will be sending you money for the Xi board and back plane (50 USD). How much do I need to send for shipping?

Best,

Joe Herdler

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:17 PM, Sergey <skiselev-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

Joe,

No problem. I will keep one Xi 8088 and one ISA backplane for you.

Thanks,
Sergey
Post by Joe Herdler
Joe,

Post by Joe Herdler
Post by Joe Herdler
Sergey
2014-01-22 22:47:51 UTC
Hi Joe,

It is skiselev#at#gmail#dot#com. Shipping should be around $5 in US and
about $15 outside of US.

Thanks,
Sergey
Joe Herdler
2014-01-23 14:09:15 UTC
Hi Sergey,

I will Pay-Pal 55.00 to you tomorrow morning by 7:00 AM. My address is as follows...

Joe Herdler
14303 Raymond Rd
Kearney, MO
64060

Thank you very much... I am very excited about this project!

Best,

Joe Herdler

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:47 PM, Sergey <skiselev-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

Hi Joe,

It is skiselev#at#gmail#dot#com. Shipping should be around $5 in US and about $15 outside of US.

Thanks,
Sergey

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:29:51 AM UTC-8, Joe Herdler wrote:
Hi Sergey,
Post by Joe Herdler

What is your Pay-Pal address? I will be sending you money for the Xi board and back plane (50 USD). How much do I need to send for shipping?

Best,

Joe Herdler

Consciousness affects the medium. Think happy, be happy, and happiness will follow you.
Joe,
No problem. I will keep one Xi 8088 and one ISA backplane for you.
Thanks,
Sergey
Post by Joe Herdler
Joe,