[N8VEM: 19040] ZETA SBC with Floppy-Disk compatible to V3 ascopy station from 5,25" to 3,5" and mixed mode
Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
2014-12-07 21:33:31 UTC
Hi friends,

I have the N8VEM-SBC V2 with my own 12-slot-backplane in a full 3HE-Rack
with power-supplies and I have the ZETA-SBC with integrated disc
controller. The big system is not finished yet because itÂŽs in
reconstruction.

In my collection I have some old measurement devices from GOULD and KONTRON
and RFT. Actuall I refurbished an KONTRON Analyzer KLA64. This system has
his operating and the complete runtime system on a 5,25" floppy disc. The
problem: I have no copies and the system has only one floppy drive. An I
have noc access to the KLA64-CPM because the is no keyboard...

So IÂŽm looking for a solution to integrate:

2 pc TEAD FD-235
2 pc TEAC FD-55GFR-U7193 plugged to 300rpm

My questions are:

1: Can I use an standard PC-floppy-cable to connect 2 3,5" or 5,25"
floppydrives to ZETA or need I an special cable? Are there changes of
switches neccessary on the PCB of the drives?
2: Can I install an maximum "floppy center" with 2 3,5" FD and 2 5,25" FD?
And which cable I muste use for this installation? Can I generate an
ROM-WBW-System for this?

3: Can I install also 4 FD-drives into my N8VEM-3HE-frame system?

Best regards

Wolfgang
Wayne Warthen
2014-12-08 03:44:44 UTC
Hi Wolfgang,

Yes, you can install either 3.5" or 5.25" floppies to the Zeta. It can be
both the same or different. RomWBW is pre-configured for 3.5" drives, but
you can change that in the config file and build a new ROM. Note that the
config file does not allow for different drive types for each drive. You
would need to play with the code a bit to handle that. Finally, note that
there is no disk image copy application for Zeta. The cable you would use
is just a standard PC floppy cable with the "twist".

--Wayne