[N8VEM: 19472] Looking for 8-slot ECB backplane
John Snowdon
2015-04-10 22:42:45 UTC
Hey everyone,

Anyone have an 8-slot spare? - either built or bare pcb, that they would be
willing to sell? (I'm based in the UK)

I've looked at the 12-slot and I think it's going to be just too big for me
to build a system around.

Thanks,
John
Mike Petchey
2015-04-12 17:54:26 UTC
John

I have an unused 8 slot backplane which I ordered from the group in 2012. I
do not need it so am happy to sell it for
£12 including UK postage (I am in the UK) If you want it I would prefer
payment through PayPal (PayPal id is ***@gmail.com)

If I receive payment I will post it as early as possible next week.

Incidentally my account looks like a new one but I have had to re-create it
because googlegroups would not allow a non-google email address. My old
account username is also 'Mike Petchey'

regards

Mike Petchey
John Snowdon

John Snowdon

Mike Petchey
2015-04-14 20:13:41 UTC
OK John

Don't know how much experience you have building boards (might be "
teaching my granny to suck eggs" here) but this board is twice the
thickness of the other ones which means there is more through the hole
plating, especially the square pads at the ends of the sockets. I found
that you need a temp controlled iron or at least a highish wattage one to
get good joints.

best of luck

Mike
John Snowdon
2015-04-14 21:36:29 UTC
No probs, I've got a temperature controlled station :-)

Just been looking at the price of DIN 41612 edge connectors though -
bloomin heck they're expensive!
Sergey
2015-04-14 22:13:26 UTC
There are multiple manufacturers and some manufacturers make different
models. Price usually depends on finishing (e.g. gold platting and its
thickness)
There are some cheaper options, for example Mouser has 571-8-1393644-3
<http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/8-1393644-3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMud62t8luTOJoosjaozEX4pPnAWoVnzfG8%3d> plugs
for $3.63 and 571-5350895
<http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/535089-5/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMud62t8luTOJj7WhawOc7yykj4Oedulor8%3d> receptacles
for $3.36. I also had some luck buying connectors at local surplus store.
2015-04-14 23:19:20 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
John,<br>
You may consider not soldering all the connectors.&nbsp; For instance,
there is physical interference between the power connector and the
first DIN connector when the power supply is connected and you have
a board plugged into that slot.&nbsp; Because I so often have cables
&amp; ZIF sockets on boards, I find it okay to have soldered only 4
DIN connector, giving a good bit of space between boards.&nbsp; Later you
can get more of the DIN connectors.<br>
I use the AMP 535043-4 connector.&nbsp; The pins do not stick out of the
1/8" thick board, but are just the right length to show their tips.&nbsp;
I think this was probably the least expensive connector at Jameco or
Digikey.&nbsp; (The "-4" indicates the finish; tin I think.&nbsp; Mine are
definitely not gold plated.)<br>
--John<br>
On 04/14/2015 02:36 PM, John Snowdon wrote:
cite="mid:7a94c132-f8c8-41d2-b695-***@googlegroups.com"
type="cite">
:-)
though - bloomin heck they're expensive!<br>
On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 9:13:41 PM UTC+1, Mike Petchey
wrote:
0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">
boards (might be " teaching my granny to suck eggs"
here) but this board is twice the thickness of the other
ones which means there is more through the hole plating,
especially the square pads at the ends of the sockets.
&nbsp;I found that you need a temp controlled iron or at
least a highish wattage one to get good joints.</div>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
Todd Goodman
2015-04-15 12:02:39 UTC
I currently have qty 91 DIN 41612 Connectors Type C Receptacle 96 Position .
Cost is $2.84 ($2.75 connector cost plus shipping to me) each plus
shipping to you.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=535090-5virtualkey57100000virtualkey571-5350905
Todd
John,
You may consider not soldering all the connectors. For instance, there is
physical interference between the power connector and the first DIN
connector when the power supply is connected and you have a board plugged
into that slot. Because I so often have cables & ZIF sockets on boards, I
find it okay to have soldered only 4 DIN connector, giving a good bit of
space between boards. Later you can get more of the DIN connectors.
I use the AMP 535043-4 connector. The pins do not stick out of the 1/8"
thick board, but are just the right length to show their tips. I think this
was probably the least expensive connector at Jameco or Digikey. (The "-4"
indicates the finish; tin I think. Mine are definitely not gold plated.)
--John
2015-04-15 14:19:23 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
AMP 535090 and 535043 look to me to be virtually identical.&nbsp; I have
used both:&nbsp; 535090-5 and 525043-4.<br>
--John<br>
On 04/15/2015 05:02 AM, Todd Goodman wrote:
cite="mid:CADbUL+***@mail.gmail.com"
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">I have the following available from a bulk Mouser purchase if it helps:

</pre>
<pre wrap="">I currently have qty 91 DIN 41612 Connectors Type C Receptacle 96 Position .

Cost is $2.84 ($2.75 connector cost plus shipping to me) each plus
shipping to you.

Mouser's page for this part is at:

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=535090-5virtualkey57100000virtualkey571-5350905">http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=535090-5virtualkey57100000virtualkey571-5350905</a>
</pre>
<pre wrap="">
Todd

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 7:19 PM, John Coffman <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:***@gmail.com">&lt;***@gmail.com&gt;</a> wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">John,

You may consider not soldering all the connectors. For instance, there is
physical interference between the power connector and the first DIN
connector when the power supply is connected and you have a board plugged
into that slot. Because I so often have cables &amp; ZIF sockets on boards, I
[...]

"N8VEM" group.
email to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.
Visit this group at <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.

</pre>