[N8VEM: 19848] Altair 8800 Motherboard Replacement
Kip Koon
2015-07-13 16:34:10 UTC
Hi Guys,

I have an Altair 8800 full of cards, but the backplane is in 3 4-slot
sections wired together.

Does N8VEM have any motherboards that will fit my Altair should I choose to
restore it? It has not been powered up since before I bought it way back in
the late '70s to early '80s timeframe. I looked to see if I could easily
disconnect everything from the power supply several years back and I found
that the front panel is permanently wired to the backplane so if I do
replace the backplane I have a lot of work ahead of me. Total restoration
could take a while and my workbench is kind of dinky so leaving everything
laid out is not an option at this point. I know there is at least a 21 slot
S-100 backplane, but from what I remember looking inside my Altair, I
wouldn't think that would fit.

What procedures should I follow should I decide to dive into this project?
I would like to see it run someday though I imagine it would be painfully
slow compared to my 25MHZ Z80 Multicomp running MP/M with 512KB of ram.

Any thoughts, ideas, helpful hints?

Kip Koon

<mailto:***@sc.rr.com> ***@sc.rr.com

<http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon>
jdavis
2015-07-13 21:39:24 UTC
Post by Kip Koon
Hi Guys,
I have an Altair 8800 full of cards, but the backplane is in 3 4-slot
sections wired together.
Does N8VEM have any motherboards that will fit my Altair should I choose
to restore it? [...]
Any thoughts, ideas, helpful hints?
Hmm, does the 3 piece motherboard have any problems? That setup was period
correct, taking out the motherboard for a more "modern" one seems like a
shame, like taking out the original iron block engine from a classic car
and putting in a modern aluminum block engine. Unless the motherboard and
cards are damaged (corrosion, mice) I'd be tempted to restore it with
original parts. The vintage computer forum at
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forumdisplay.php?24-S-100 is a
helpful resource, in fact there's a long thread there where someone is
restoring an Altair 8800.

That said, building a N8VEM S-100 system would be very helpful since you'd
have known-good (once they're built and tested) parts to check the 8800
with.
Kip Koon
2015-07-13 21:52:16 UTC
Hi jdavis,

In that spirit then and for the sake of completeness, do you think it would be ok to wire in another 4-slot backplane until it was full?

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

G. Beat
2015-07-18 05:18:39 UTC
There is a separate N8VEM group for S-100 computers (Google).

The S100 Computers web page documents the S-100 Bus and historical boards that were offered.
http://www.s100computers.com

S-100 Box and Card Cage
http://www.s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/The%20Box/The%20Box.htm

Under its New Boards category -- documents PC been that have been offered by this interest group.
http://www.s100computers.com/My%20System%20Index%20Page.htm

S-100 Boards For Sale
http://www.s100computers.com/Cards%20For%20Sale.htm

Grant Stockly's Altair Kit project (2006/2007) duplicated the original Altair method of 4-slot additions to the motherboard.
http://www.altairkit.com

John Woodall, eBay seller: vintagemicros has offered S-100 motherboards in the past.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagemicros