[N8VEM: 17588] Reflow Soldering Backplanes w/"Pin in Paste"
Andrew Bingham
2014-03-22 20:06:22 UTC
So, I was soldering up my 12-slot 505-6508 chassis ECB Backplane - 3 out of
12 connectors done - and wondering if there is perhaps a better way to
solder backplanes.

I found that "pin in paste" is a method used for reflow soldering of
through-hole components in industry.

I was thinking of getting some solder paste and having a laser-cut mylar
stencil made (http://www.pololu.com/product/446) for the pin pattern of the
connectors. Lay down a couple layers of paste (the 2nd layer pushes it
down into the holes), press in the connector from the other side, and then
reflow the paste with a hot air gun or hot air rework station.

Does this make any sense? Has anyone tried it as a way of speeding up
backplane fabrication? I really like the hobbyist aspect of this whole
thing but I'd also like to be able to get to building my SBC-188, 4MEM, etc
and also have a blackplane with nice repeatable soldering....

Andrew
Edward Snider
2014-03-22 22:56:30 UTC
Hi Andrew,

I have a hot air reflow station I use for surface mount stuff. I don't
think you would need a stencil for pins that big/far apart.

If I was going to use paste on these connectors, I'd probably try putting
the connector in, running a bead of solder paste (from a syringe)
along each row, and then running a fairly hot iron at moderate speed along
each row (or you could use air). Either way you'd probably have to
clean it up with an iron afterwards. Flux is your friend :)

Actually I have two 8 slot backplanes to build and I think I'll try this.
Those connectors do get tedious after a few.

Ed
Edward Snider
2014-03-22 23:16:39 UTC
Regarding stencils... Check out http://www.oshstencils.com/ A lot more
affordable than other sources I've seen.
Tom Lafleur
2014-03-22 23:22:37 UTC
I have been using. http://ohararp.com/stencils/. With 5 mill spacing on pad. Quick delivery.

Sent from my Phone
Andrew Bingham
2014-03-22 23:26:59 UTC
That's even cheaper than Pololu, neat.

Running a bead down the side might work too. But I am super challenged
when it comes to making anything neatly, so I was thinking the stencil
would make it harder to mess up. (The soldering on my Zeta actually came
out pretty awesome and was one of the first things I had come out really
neatly in forever)