[N8VEM: 17421] Group Order Interest Pre-Check - 6x0x ATX/VME Board
Andrew Bingham
2014-02-28 21:49:32 UTC
Hello,

I've coordinated with Andrew L. and I'll be
coordinating/buying/distributing the first order of the new N8VEM ATX/VME
6x0x SBC. The board and directors of Mojave Makers (www.mojavemakers.org)
have agreed to make this an official project of our 501c3 as part of our
educational mission, allowing us to help offload Andrew L. without having
to worry about things like volume of PayPal payments, taxes, etc.

Prototype boards have been out to a few people since late last year; there
are a few minor tweaks going on with the board design right now, and Andrew
L is updating the EDA files.

I'd like to get an idea of the interest level for this board, so I can get
quotes, arrange for packing/shipping materials, etc.

My general plan is this:
-Interest check (now) while we wait for the finishing touches on the board
design. Get quote and provide estimated cost per board at this interest
level.
-Once Andrew L. finishes up the EDA files to where they are ready to order,
I'll send out another email asking for people who expressed interest to
confirm their orders, or for any new confirmed orders. I'll leave things
open for orders for something like 1 week to give everyone plenty of time
to see the message and get orders in.
-At the end of the order period I'll post a final list of who ordered what,
and place an order for boards
-When the boards arrive, I'll generate PayPal invoices and send them to
everyone who had a confirmed order
-Upon receipt of payment, boards will ship.

So, let me know if you're interested in 6x0x boards and I'll get the
interest list started!

Andrew
Fabio Battaglia

Vince Mulhollon
2014-02-28 22:13:48 UTC
Post by Andrew Bingham
-Interest check (now) while we wait for the finishing touches on the board
design. Get quote and provide estimated cost per board at this interest
level.
Qty 4.

Thanks for the effort
Brian Marstella

oscarv
2014-02-28 22:31:29 UTC
Andrew,

Sign me up for two please!

Regards,
AG5AT
2014-03-01 00:01:11 UTC
Put me down for one.

Aug
AG5AT
nbreeden
2014-03-01 00:05:44 UTC
Please put me down for 2.
yoda
2014-03-01 01:43:58 UTC
Put me down for 2 boards

Thanks
Kip Koon
2014-03-01 03:12:45 UTC
Hi Andrew!

I’d like three (3) 6x0x SBC VME PCBs. I want to make a 6802 Flex2 system, a 6809 Flex9 system and a 6309 NitrOS-9 L2 system. It will definitely get interesting around here! You can tell I’m a Motorola Microprocessor Man! :) Thanks a bunch for all the work designing this PCB. I think I’m going to have a LOT of FUN with it!

Kip

Andrew Lynch
2014-03-09 20:32:33 UTC
Hi Kip

Thanks! The 6x0x PCB continues to optimize in the trace router.

I don’t have an ETC but it seems to be stabilizing at 335 or so vias.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Kip Koon
2014-03-10 09:17:11 UTC
Hi Andrew!

You are welcome. I thought about getting some Coco users involved in this project thinking that if they had the PCB handy, the NitrOS-9 cross platform development port to this board would become easier. I’m hoping that some Coco users will take an interest in this project. I really want to see NitrOS-9 run on this board, but at this point I’m thinking I’m going to have to get proficient in 6809/6309 assembly language and learn how to write an operating system just so I can figure out how to make all the necessary changes to NitrOS-9. How many 6809 users are in the N8VEM user base by the way? I wonder if any of them would like to take on a project of this size? I know I can’t do it all by myself at this point. Besides, the more eyes that are involved, the more mistakes that will be caught and the better the port will be.

By the way, how long does it take to optimize the traces on a PCB of this size. I used Kicad at first when I wanted to learn how to make PCBs, but the web based trace route optimizer quit working after a Java update so I switched to Eagle. It took a while for me to learn how to use Eagle since it was quite a bit different from Kicad. The effort spent learning Eagle was well worth my while, because now I love using Eagle. Creating new parts in Eagle is a bit different of course than Kicad, but it’s getting easier all the time. Each time I need a new part to work with in my projects now, I just go into the library and whip one up. I’m even getting better at finding the datasheets I need too.

I have produced several PCBs with it. At first I created some tiny PCBs in comparison to the ones you guys create, to get a handle on things. After a while, I felt like an entry level pro with this thing. My first real PCB product I created with Eagle is a 512KB Memory Upgrade for the Coco 3 and it performs very well. I ran it overnight in my test Coco 3 to make sure NitrOS-9 didn’t crash. The next morning I checked out the Coco 3 and NitrOS-9 was still running beautifully. :)

I’m just about finished stuffing ICs into my ECB 6x0x SBC VME Prototype PCB, so I will begin testing it very soon. I’m really looking forward to using this PCB. I have great hopes for it. Take care my friend.

Andrew Lynch
2014-03-11 00:07:08 UTC
Hi Kip

It may be months to fully optimize a PCB trace routing for a board this size and density. So long that it may not be worth the whole process. It is a trade off that each builder has to make.

Personally I have no idea how many 6x0x users there are. They are great hobbyists and I love their enthusiasm. At least several builders like the 6x0x boards.

NitrOS-9 sounds cool and if it will help the other hobbyists then I am all for it. I am not a COCO guy in particular but hey it’s all fun stuff.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Edward Snider
Paul Birkel
wally

Dan Werner

neilbradley

2014-03-01 19:07:18 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Andrew,<br>
I'd like to get one of the updated 6x0x boards.<br>
--John<br>
On 02/28/2014 01:49 PM, Andrew Bingham wrote:
cite="mid:4864fd5b-8db8-47f9-b6f0-08ee92a53abf-/***@public.gmane.org"
type="cite">
coordinating/buying/distributing the first order of the new
N8VEM ATX/VME 6x0x SBC. &nbsp;The board and directors of Mojave
Makers (<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.mojavemakers.org">www.mojavemakers.org</a>) have agreed to make this an
official project of our 501c3 as part of our educational
mission, allowing us to help offload Andrew L. without having
to worry about things like volume of PayPal payments, taxes,
etc.</div>
last year; there are a few minor tweaks going on with the
board design right now, and Andrew L is updating the EDA
files.</div>
board, so I can get quotes, arrange for packing/shipping
materials, etc.</div>
touches on the board design. &nbsp;Get quote and provide estimated
cost per board at this interest level.</div>
ready to order, I'll send out another email asking for people
who expressed interest to confirm their orders, or for any new
confirmed orders. &nbsp;I'll leave things open for orders for
something like 1 week to give everyone plenty of time to see
the message and get orders in.</div>
who ordered what, and place an order for boards</div>
send them to everyone who had a confirmed order</div>
I'll get the interest list started!</div>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem+unsubscribe-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org">n8vem-/***@public.gmane.org</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out">https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to n8vem+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/***@public.gmane.org<br />
Andrew Bingham
2014-03-01 20:03:38 UTC
Here is the list thus far -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmbodPH8GZcCdFp5WW8xaVc0WDY1RWhJQnQwOE9pNVE&output=html

We are up to 36 boards. I'm going to go ahead and get a quote for 40,
based on the most recent EDA files, so I can confirm what the pricing will
be.

Feel free to continue to reply to this interest thread and I will keep
updating the list, until I get the final EDA files from Andrew L.

Thanks,

Andrew B
Post by oscarv
Andrew,
I'd like to get one of the updated 6x0x boards.
--John
Borut

yoda
steve shumaker
2014-03-01 22:17:47 UTC
I suspect my email was sent in after your tally. Not on the list but
please add me for 1 board.

Steve Shumaker
(www.mojavemakers.org <http://www.mojavemakers.org>) have agreed
Andrew Lynch
2014-03-09 20:32:33 UTC
Hi

If you guys are hard over on getting a 6x0x right now I can upload the KiCAD
EDA file set now. It will work but the traces won't be optimized. While
that probably won't matter much there is a difference. As to whether it is
worth the wait is probably debatable. Please let me know.

The downside of going to manufacture with an un optimized board is next time
you update you'll invoke a tooling fee if you use the new drill file. That
may be moot anyway if other changes are made so on complicated boards like
this one it may not matter.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Elsid
Ian May
2014-03-02 05:33:59 UTC
Hi Andrew,
Could you please put me on the list for 2 boards and thanks for organizing
this group buy!
Cheers,
Ian May.
littlebus
2014-03-02 11:50:09 UTC
Hello Andrew,

One here, please.
kenro
2014-03-02 14:22:11 UTC
Post by Andrew Bingham
So, let me know if you're interested in 6x0x boards and I'll get the
interest list started!
Andrew
I'm interested in one of these boards too.
Thanks,
Ken
brizza
mramey-+
2014-03-05 17:09:51 UTC
Add 2 boards for me please.

Malcom
Andrew Bingham
2014-03-11 03:44:33 UTC
The list should of interested folks should current through Malcom.

Interest Pre-Check 2/28/14NameQtyFabio Battaglia3Paul Dennison1Vine
Mulhollon4Brian Marstella1Oscar2George Harris1AG5AT1Neill Breeden2Dave
"Yoda"2Kip "Computerdoc"3Edward Snider2pbirkel1Pat "wally"2Dan Werner3Neil
Bradley1John Coffman1Ian Douglas3Andrew Bingham2Borut1Leon Byles1Steve
Shumaker1Ian May2Clive "littlebus"1Ken "kenro"1Nik "brizza"1Malcom2Total45
There was some question about if the ECB connector part of the board was
working properly - I'd like to make sure that is worked out before we order
this many boards.

Andrew B
Post by mramey-+
Add 2 boards for me please.
Malcom
oscarv
2014-04-07 15:05:58 UTC
All,

I'm really curious about the developments in the 6x0x ATX board. Any news
on its birth process or what is currently running on it?

Kind regards,
Dan Werner

Andrew Bingham
2014-04-07 19:24:13 UTC
Last I heard from Andrew L. it was still in the trace routing process.

Also there were some questions about it the ECB bus was working properly
which I would really like to work out before I make boards for everyone.

However I don't have one of the prototypes myself so I haven't actually
used the board. I am just doing the orders.

Andrew
Dan Werner
Paul Birkel
Andrew Bingham

Kip Koon
2014-04-08 01:01:28 UTC
Hi ECB 6x0x SBC VME PCB Enthusiasts!

I have been wondering how well the ECB compatible PCBs would work with the
ECB 6x0x SBC VME PCB, but I guess it depends on whether the OS the user is
running on the PCB has the appropriate drivers to talk to the ECB add on
PCBs in question. If so, then I'd like to see who all would be interested
in getting together a collective effort to modify, update and add new
drivers, etc. to NitrOS-9 to run on the 6809 / 6309 version of this board.
I'd like to start now as a total OS port to this PCB will probably take a
while and there are several core modules at the very least plus device
drivers and descriptors that would need to be looked at for possible
incompatibilities with this PCB. Let's get together and see what develops.
I have a feeling there are some very brilliant 6809 / 6309 assembler
language experts out there in N8VEM land. :)

One interesting point to note for anyone interested in the 6809 and 6309 is
that the NitrOS-9 source code has an SWTPC flag in place in the assembly
source code. I don't know if any of the SWTPC specific source code works at
this point as I expect a lot of things have changed over the years, but at
one time I'm wondering if the NitrOS-9 Build use to produce a 6809 SWTPC
compatible version of NitrOS-9 or OS-9 depending on when the SWTPC flags
were put in.

I've put an email out on the Coco List which has the maintainers of NitrOS-9
as members asking for anyone who would be interested in helping with the
port, but I have not directly heard back from any of them yet. Of course
the maintenance and updates to NitrOS-9 is done by individuals in their free
time just like all of us who participate in things like this.

In any event, even if you may just be remotely interested, I'd like to hear
from you. Everyone is welcome. I would also encourage you to put in
requests to the Coco list concerning this effort also. The more noise we
make the more like that they will realize that there really is another
platform needing this powerful operating system. Take care my friends.

Kip

Borut