[N8VEM: 18947] SD Cards
Richard Cini
2014-11-09 19:52:23 UTC
All —

While on this topic, what SD card manufacturers and sizes work? I don’t have
many small-sized ones laying around so I figure I’ll have to buy some. 1gb?
I’m assuming stay within DOS’s theoretical limit of 2gb.

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers

From: John Coffman <***@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, November 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM
To: N8VEM-Post <***@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 18946] SBC-188 BIOS update

The SD card should be jumpered for device 08h, not 80h.

All jumpers on, except third from the right (96-pin bus connector end).

--John

[The jumper bit values from the SDcard end to the Eurocard connector end
are:
80, 40, 20, 10, 08, 04, 02 -- LSB is missing.
Jumper inserted: bit value is zero; jumper removed, bit value is one.]

SDcard sockets // on, on, on, on, off, on, on // Eurocard connector.
Thanks John,
Makes perfect sense now... :-)
I'm tying to get the dual SD card working but no joy asyet.
I have it jumpered for port 80h (all jumpers inserted except second from left.
Do I need to enable an interrupt?
Cheers!
Max
Max,
BIOS044.ZIP is the source code only.
ANSI.ZIP, WYSE.ZIP, CVDU.ZIP, and WCVDU.ZIP contain the appropiate binary
.BIN files,
depending upon which .CFG one might have wanted. This is exactly the same
as
previous releases. All of the binary .ZIP files contain binary files to
match the size ROM
chip you are using.
BIOS044.ZIP source is for those who may want to customize their
configurations. It has
all four .CFG files used to produce the above binary .ZIP ensembles.
--John
Hi John,
Any chance of adding the binary .bin files to the Zip file?
Cheers!
Max
I have uploaded files to the Wiki to update the SBC-188 BIOS as of
07-Nov-1014. Revision: 2.3-44; aka "BIOS044".
The most evident outward change is support at the BIOS level for the Dual
SD Card board.
     ÂÂ
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/65360850/BIOS%20update%20Notice%20(42%2
C%2043%2C%2044)
<http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/65360850/BIOS%20update%20Notice%20%284
2%2C%2043%2C%2044%29>
--John
Max Scane
2014-11-09 21:02:19 UTC
Hi Rich,

Whilst I haven't used any SD cards on the 188 as yet, I have used them on
the N8, Mark 4, PPISD and Multicomp. I mainly use SanDisk cards and
haven't had any trouble with them.

Note that there are two slightly different SD cards available; SD and
SDHC. There is a small difference in the protocol needed to talk to each
one and the driver needs to recognize the difference.

Cards up to 2GB generally use the SD Card protocol and cards greater than
2GB use the SDHC protocol. If you look closely at say an 8GB SD card you
will notice a small SD HC logo indicating that it uses the SDHC protocol.

I would say that you are safe using any card size up to 2GB and depending
on the driver cards beyond 2GB.

Note that the Multicomp doesn't support SDHC cards so you are limited to
2GB cards there.

My own BIOS handles both protocols so I can use any card. However, I only
use a fraction of the storage available (CP/M 2 is limited to 8 MB per
disk) anyway.

Cheers!

Max

Richard Cini
2014-11-09 21:37:22 UTC
Max —

Thanks very much. I had a SanDisk 2gb card laying around so I tried it with
the board and it seems to work
mostly.

I have two CF hard drives on the PPIDE as DOS drives C and D. When I ran the
BIOS setup, I set it up for 2 SD card channels to match the ECB SD board.

When it finished the POST, it correctly identified the new drives as ID 0x82
and 0x83 (DOS drives E and F). However, when I try to access E, I get
Invalid Drive Spec. So I used MiniTool to make the partition “active”. Now,
I can access it but not write to the drive. I get “General Failure Writing
to Drive E:”. Looks like I need to maybe look into whether there is a
write-protect issue somewhere.

Rich

Max Scane
2014-11-09 21:54:11 UTC
Just a guess here but your SD cards are probably formatted as FAT32. Does
the version of DOS you are running support it?

Maybe try formatting them with FAT 16?

As I said just a guess, I haven't got mine up and running as yet.

Cheers!
Richard Cini
2014-11-10 00:18:10 UTC
The HP tool enables you to specify FAT, FAT32 or NTFS and they’re formatted
FAT. I may try finding a 512mb SD card and giving that a try. I have
occasionally had problems with 2gb devices (including hard drives) and DOS6.

Thanks!

Rich

2014-11-10 01:05:20 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
AFAIK, all versions of MSDOS up to 6.22 supported only FAT12 and
FAT16.<br>
I'm using SanDisk, Pretec, and Canon cards.&nbsp; All seem to work OK.&nbsp;
The SDcard drivers for SBC-188, Mark IV, and Z80 boards all support
communication with SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards.&nbsp; SD cards use byte
addressing; SDHC and SDXC use sector addressing, but the drivers can
tell the difference between the card types.<br>
Rich, your write issue may be a faulty CardDetect or WriteProtect
switch problem, especially if you have the problem with only 1
socket.<br>
The SBC-188 and UNA drivers use CRC-16 checking on all data
transfers, and CRC-7 checking of all command sequences.<br>
--John<br>
On 11/09/2014 04:18 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
they&#8217;re formatted FAT. I may try finding a 512mb SD card and
giving that a try. I have occasionally had problems with 2gb
devices (including hard drives) and DOS6.</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
left; color: black; border-width: 1pt medium medium;
border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(181, 196,
223) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in
0in;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">From: </span> Max
Scane &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
November 9, 2014 at 4:54 PM<br>
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
18950] SD Cards<br>
formatted as FAT32.&nbsp; Does the version of DOS you are running
support it?
as yet.</div>
Richard Cini <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@verizon.net" target="_blank">***@verizon.net</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br>
0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">
font-size: 14px; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif;">
very much. I had a SanDisk 2gb card laying around
so I tried it with the board and it seems to
work&#8230;mostly.</div>
have two CF hard drives on the PPIDE as DOS drives
C and D. When I ran the BIOS setup, I set it up
for 2 SD card channels to match the ECB SD board.</div>
it finished the POST, it correctly identified the
new drives as ID 0x82 and 0x83 (DOS drives &nbsp;E and
F). However, when I try to access E, I get Invalid
Drive Spec. So I used MiniTool to make the
partition &#8220;active&#8221;. Now, I can access it but not
write to the drive. I get &#8220;General Failure Writing
to Drive E:&#8221;. Looks like I need to maybe look into
whether there is a write-protect issue somewhere.</div>
Emulator</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini"
target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32"
target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
text-align: left; color: black; border-width: 1pt
medium medium; border-style: solid none none;
border-color: rgb(181, 196, 223) -moz-use-text-color
-moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in 0in;"><span
style="font-weight: bold;">From: </span> Max
Scane &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com" target="_blank">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
Sunday, November 9, 2014 at 4:02 PM<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
Re: [N8VEM: 18948] SD Cards<br>
188 as yet, I have used them on the N8, Mark
4, PPISD and Multicomp.&nbsp; I mainly use SanDisk
cards and haven't had any trouble with them. &nbsp;</div>
SD cards available; SD and SDHC.&nbsp; There is a
small difference in the protocol needed to
talk to each one and the driver needs to
recognize the difference. &nbsp;</div>
protocol and cards greater than 2GB use the
SDHC protocol.&nbsp; If you look closely at say an
8GB SD card you will notice a small SD HC logo
indicating that it uses the SDHC protocol.</div>
card size up to 2GB and depending on the
driver cards beyond 2GB.</div>
SDHC cards so you are limited to 2GB cards
there.</div>
use any card.&nbsp; However, I only use a fraction
of the storage available (CP/M 2 is limited to
8 MB per disk) anyway.</div>
8:52 PM, Richard Cini <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@verizon.net"
target="_blank">***@verizon.net</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br>
0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid
rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 14px;
font-family: Calibri,sans-serif;">
pre-wrap;"> </span>While on this
topic, what SD card manufacturers
and sizes work? I don&#8217;t have many
small-sized ones laying around so I
figure I&#8217;ll have to buy some. 1gb?
I&#8217;m assuming stay within DOS&#8217;s
theoretical limit of 2gb.</div>
Altair32 Emulator</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini"
target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32"
target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
font-size: 11pt; text-align: left;
color: black; border-width: 1pt medium
medium; border-style: solid none none;
border-color: rgb(181, 196, 223)
-moz-use-text-color
-moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in
0in;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">From:
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com"
target="_blank">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
11:31 AM<br>
N8VEM-Post &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
BIOS update<br>
The SD card should be jumpered for
device 08h, not 80h.<br>
All jumpers on, except third from
the right (96-pin bus connector
end).<br>
--John<br>
[The jumper bit values from the
SDcard end to the Eurocard connector
end are:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 80, 40, 20, 10, 08, 04, 02&nbsp;
--&nbsp; LSB is missing.<br>
Jumper inserted:&nbsp; bit value is zero;
jumper removed, bit value is one.]<br>
SDcard sockets&nbsp; //&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; on, on, on,
on, off, on, on&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; // Eurocard
connector.<br>
On 11/08/2014 04:50 PM, Max Scane
wrote:
:-)</div>
SD card working but no joy
asyet.</div>
80h (all jumpers inserted
except second from left.</div>
interrupt?</div>
Nov 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM, John
Coffman <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@gmail.com"
target="_blank">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br>
class="gmail_quote"
style="margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt
0.8ex; border-left: 1px
solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">
text="#000000"> Max,<br>
BIOS044.ZIP is the source
code only.<br>
ANSI.ZIP, WYSE.ZIP,
CVDU.ZIP, and WCVDU.ZIP
contain the appropiate
binary .BIN files, <br>
depending upon which .CFG
one might have wanted.&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp;
This is exactly the same
as <br>
previous releases.&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp; All
of the binary .ZIP files
contain binary files to
match the size ROM <br>
chip you are using.<br>
BIOS044.ZIP source is for
those who may want to
customize their
configurations.&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp; It has<br>
all four .CFG files used
to produce the above
binary .ZIP ensembles.<br>
--John<span><br>
On 11/07/2014 07:49 PM,
Max Scane wrote: </span>
John,
adding the binary
.bin files to the
Zip file?</div>
class="gmail_quote"><span>On
Sat, Nov 8, 2014
at 7:09 AM, John
Coffman <span
dir="ltr">&lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@gmail.com" target="_blank">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br>
class="gmail_quote"
style="margin: 0pt
0pt 0pt 0.8ex;
border-left: 1px
solid rgb(204,
204, 204);
padding-left:
1ex;">
bgcolor="#ffffff"
text="#000000">
I have uploaded
files to the
Wiki to update
the SBC-188 BIOS
as of
07-Nov-1014.&Atilde;&#402;&#8218;&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp;
Revision:&Atilde;&#402;&#8218;&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp;
2.3-44; aka
"BIOS044".<span><br>
The most
evident
outward change
is support at
the BIOS level
for the Dual
SD Card board.<br>
Here is the
full revision
notice:<br>
&Atilde;&#402;&#8218;&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp;&Atilde;&#402;&#8218;&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp;&Atilde;&#402;&#8218;&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp;
&Atilde;&#402;&#8218;&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp;&Atilde;&#402;&#8218;&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp;&Atilde;&#402;&#8218;&Atilde;&#8218;&nbsp;
<a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/65360850/BIOS%20update%20Notice%20%2842%2C%2043%2C%2044%29"
target="_blank">http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/65360850/BIOS%20update%20Notice%20(42%2C%2043%2C%2044)</a><span><font
color="#888888"><br>
--John<br>
color="#888888"> -- <br>
You received
this message
because you
are subscribed
to the Google
Groups "N8VEM"
group.<br>
To unsubscribe
from this
group and stop
receiving
emails from
it, send an
email to <a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com" target="_blank">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to
this group,
send email to
<a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com" target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this
group at <a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem" target="_blank">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more
options, visit
<a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout" target="_blank">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>
[...]
target="_blank">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<span><font
color="#888888"><br>
[...]
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
Richard Cini
2014-11-10 02:15:45 UTC
Good point, John, about the WP connection. Both connectors exhibited the
same problem so I looked at the board under a microscope and it looks that I
didn’t do a good enough job soldering the WP switch on the FCI connector.
All is well now.

As an aside, I have two identical 2gb SanDisk cards and one works (in both
sockets) and the other doesn’t work in either. Both formatted the same way
(with the HP flash memory tool and a partition tool to mark them as
“active”). I get an “Invalid Drive Specification” error which used to mean
that a drive partition table isn’t right. Need to look into this more.

Next task is to make it bootable

Thanks again!

Rich

From: John Coffman <***@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, November 9, 2014 at 8:05 PM
To: N8VEM-Post <***@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 18952] SD Cards

AFAIK, all versions of MSDOS up to 6.22 supported only FAT12 and FAT16.

I'm using SanDisk, Pretec, and Canon cards. All seem to work OK. The
SDcard drivers for SBC-188, Mark IV, and Z80 boards all support
communication with SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards. SD cards use byte addressing;