[N8VEM: 18936] 68HC11 SBC Project Revisited
Kip Koon
2014-11-08 06:59:44 UTC
Hi Engineers!

I have just discovered the 68HC11 SBC in the "Other Boards" Category and I
was wondering if a PCB was ever made for this project? If not, then is
there anyone interested in a 68HC11 SBC PCB to explore this Microprocessor?
I'd like to have the Flex2 and OS9 OSes running on a 68HC11 microcomputer
which is a superset of the 6800 from what I have read.

I had originally wanted to have a 6800 Flex2 microcomputer, but since the
68HC11 has so much more to offer in one chip I therefore decided to make a
68HC11 based system instead.

I mentioned OS-9 because I recently saw a web page that showed OS-9 running
on a SWTPC 6800 microcomputer.

In any event, I would like to see a 68HC11 SBC PCB of some type produced.
I'm looking at the schematic from this project which is interesting, but I
saw no evidence among the files of a PCB ever being made. Has anyone ever
built this 68HC11 SBC? If so, please share your experience with me. Thank
you in advance. Take care my friends.

Kip Koon

<mailto:***@sc.rr.com> ***@sc.rr.com

<http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon>
Borut
2014-11-09 09:24:23 UTC
Kip,

I created that board in 1997 for a process control application.
Initial run was 5 boards, the layout was done in smARTWORK and files are
lost.

I used the last of the boards in 2012, to create a hybrid with Propeller
ProtoBoard.
The purpose of the execise was to port FLEX2 to a 68HC11, because i wanted
computer running FLEX.
I uploaded the source files on wiki because it is the base for my FLEX9
port for N8VEM 6x0x.

If i would do it again, i would at least replace MC68HC24 PRU with a PIA or
something similar.

Best regards,

Bo/
G. Beat
2014-11-09 12:19:53 UTC
Thanks to the "Handy Board", the 68HC11 was widely used as a Robotics controller a few years ago.

The Handy Board was developed at MIT by Fred G. Martin, and was based on a previous controller designed by Martin and Randy Sargent for the MIT LEGO Robot Contest. The Handy Board design is licensed free of charge. Several manufacturers made Handy Boards.
The Handy Board was used by hundreds of schools worldwide for robitics competitions and hobbyists.
Richard Cini
2014-11-09 15:11:59 UTC
I¹ve used the HandyBoard before and it¹s a great SBC. It was developed
more than a few years ago ‹ early to mid-1990¹s I think. I had to look and
the first copyright I saw by Fred was 1991.

The specs are great for hacking things. It¹s easy to build and runs an
interactive C-language.

* 68HC11 8-bit microcontroller @ 2 MHz
* 32KB battery-backed SRAM
* 2x16 LCD character display
* Support for four 1A motors
* 6 Servo motor controllers
* 7 Digital and 9 Analog inputs
* 8 Digital and 16 Analog outputs
* Infrared I/O capabilities
* Serial interface capabilities
* Sound output
* 11 cm x 8.5 cm x 5.25 cm (lxwxh ­ with battery, expansion board, and lcd
screen)

I would almost liken it to the Arduino Uno or Duemillenove of the 1990¹s
in raw capabilities (but needing shields) but the software in the HB is
designed for robotics control.

Rich

--
Rich Cini