[N8VEM: 19372] Need an application to read and write SD cards
Kip Koon
2015-03-18 00:15:23 UTC
Hi Guys,

I need a Windows 7 x64 application to read and write SD cards. I tried
sidewalk, but it does not run on my machine anymore. Maybe a Java update
rendered Sidewalk inoperative. Help?!? Thanks in advance to anyone who can
help.

Kip Koon

<mailto:***@sc.rr.com> ***@sc.rr.com

<http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon>
Nikolay Dimitrov
2015-03-18 02:20:11 UTC
Hi Kip,

Do you need it for reading/writing disk images, or more like a disk
hex-editor?

Regards,
Nikolay
Kip Koon
2015-03-18 02:48:14 UTC
Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses and questions. I am trying to write the file fpgacubix.img to my SD card so I can boot CUBIX on my 6809 Multicomp board. The board boots into AG5AT DISK 6809 ROM Monitor and displays a prompt. I type "b" at the monitor prompt and "BOOTING SD CARD" displays, then ... nothing. I have verified the SD card image to make sure there is a directory starting at $0 which there is. August is helping me to get CUBIX up and running, but at this point I don't know how much of CUBIX is getting loaded. August is going to give me some things to check in memory. Hopefully I can find out why. Thanks again for your help so far. I appreciate it very much.

Kip Koon
***@sc.rr.com
Max Scane
2015-03-18 02:54:15 UTC
I use Rawrite-32. It seems to work OK. Note that to write to a physical
disk you have to run it as Administrator (right click and select "Run as
administrator").

Cheers!

Max
Kip Koon
2015-03-18 04:30:42 UTC
Hi Max,

I had forgotten about rewrite. Yes I found it and verified that what it wrote to the SD card was actually on the card by using the cygwin dd command. I dawned on me that since I am running cygwin that I also could use dd and it worked. I verified what dd wrote to the sd card was actually on the sd card by reading all 8GB back to a file. I went to solder while dd was dumping the sd card. August also told me how do a memory write and dump memory using his monitor he wrote and I was able to verify the ram is working by writing hex data into ram and dumping it back out again to the display. The data I entered was still in ram. So what have I done. I verified the ram is working. I know the monitor rom is running because I’m using it. I have verified the sd card contents at the very beginning of the card matches the data at the very beginning of fpgacubix.img. So, why can’t I get CUBIX up? Any further suggestions?

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

Jim Strickland
2015-03-18 15:07:12 UTC
Linked from the Raspberry Pi site, where writing SD cards is a way of life:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Haven't tried it personally. I use macs and linux boxes, so dd works for me.

-JRS
AG5AT
2015-03-18 17:33:09 UTC
Hi Folks,

I just did a test using an 8GB SD card like Kip is using. There is a line
in the sand at 2GB. Somewhere I remember Grant or someone saying SDHC do
not work.

Aug
2015-03-18 19:14:48 UTC
Aug,

There are major differences between SD & SDHC cards. SD cards address
bytes; SDHC cards address sectors. I have an old SD-USB adapter that
does not support SDHC cards. My newer adapters are good with both SD
and SDHC cards.

More likely, any incompatibility may well be FAT16 vs FAT32. SD cards
under 2Mb are most probably formatted with FAT16. SD cards 1Mb and
larger may be FAT32. I think all SDHC cards are FAT32.

The FATxx difference is likely the problem, since RomWBW and UNA both
test the card, and adapt to SD or SDHC as appropriate.

--John
Kip Koon
2015-03-18 19:54:48 UTC
Hi August,

Can CUBIX be made to understand 8GB SD cards like RomWBW and UNA?

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

***@sc.rr.com <javascript:>

Max Scane
2015-03-18 21:29:11 UTC
No, the Multicomp has a limitation of 2GB for SD cards as it doesn't
support the SDHC card protocol.

The SD controller is written in VHDL and once you add the MMU, Interrupt
controller, RTC and second serial interface there are very few Logic
Elements left.

I would suggest that if you install it on a 2GB card it will probably work
fine.

Cheers!

Max
Post by Kip Koon
Hi August,
Can CUBIX be made to understand 8GB SD cards like RomWBW and UNA?
Kip Koon
Of *AG5AT
Kip Koon
2015-03-19 01:26:57 UTC
Hi Guys,

My Cubix is functional! Whoo-Hoo! I’m lovin’ this stuff! Now to play with my new toy!

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com