[N8VEM: 18280] Intersil (RCA) 1802 on ECB?
G. Beat
2014-06-19 02:31:54 UTC
I am aware that Lee Hart and Herb Johnson have the Membership Card implementation of the RCA 1802 (COSMAC),
that uses 3 stacked PC boards, the size of an Altoids mint container.

Lee had an earlier design, a BASYS card design, that is not that much smaller than current Eurocard ECB form factor.
Has anyone suggested having an 1802 with memory / appropriate interfaces on the ECB ?

greg
Paul Anderson

G. Beat
2014-06-19 13:07:59 UTC
Intersil manufactures the CDP1802A today.
http://www.intersil.com/en/products/space-and-harsh-environment/harsh-environment/microprocessors-and-peripherals/CDP1802A.html
They market for low power and harsh environments.

The Sandia Labs Silicon on Sapphire (SoS) versions of the 1802 were used in 1980s designs
of some space craft, notability Galileo as it orbited Jupiter in 1990s, with its heavy radiation field.

Alltronics, in Santa Clara, has an ample supply of the CDP1802ACE
$4.95 for qty. 1 or $2.50 each for qty. 26+
http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi

RCA 1802 COSMAC (Wikipedia)
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_1802
Andrew Bingham
2014-06-19 15:14:31 UTC
I've seen it mentioned a couple of times.

I think you could make an ECB SBC and then the question would be drivers to
interact with the other 8-bit ECB cards.

Andrew
Borut
2014-06-19 16:05:36 UTC
Hi guys!

I think a board that could support multiple CPUs would be quite interesting.
I have a SC/MP chip laying around somewhere and would be also interested in
TMS9995 computer.
Most of this kind of simple computer boards with 8 bit CPUs have a lot in
common, what differs is just
how CPU is connected and how control signals are generated.

What i have in mind is a board with ECB drivers, RAM, ROM, oscillator,
maybe some basic
serial I/O support (Max232) and a big enough prototyping area to support
2-3 40pin DIP ICs
and a couple of narrow 16-24 pin DIPs for specific control logic. All
necessary address, data and control
signals are lined up at the beginning of the prototyping area.
The 40pin DIP space (for CPU) could even gave two holes connected together
to make it easier to wire the connections.

Best regards,

Bo/
Andrew Bingham
2014-06-19 16:43:24 UTC
I'd really like to do a IM6120/HD6120 (CMOS PDP-8) board, but the 12-bit
bus would mean that other than accessing 8-bit I/O devices, everything
would need to be on the SBC board.
Post by Borut
Hi guys!
I think a board that could support multiple CPUs would be quite interesting.
I have a SC/MP chip laying around somewhere and would be also interested
in a
G. Beat
2014-06-19 18:13:15 UTC
The IM6120/HD6120 was a featured project of Spare Time Gizmos, a few years ago.
http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/SBC6120-2.htm

The custom SBC6120 front panel (aka DEC style) was nice.
http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/SBC6120_Front_Panel.htm

They have the schematic, Gerber, and JEDEC for the 3 GALs used, and HEX for the EPROMs.
http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/SBC6120_Builders.htm
Andrew Bingham
2014-06-19 18:31:07 UTC
I have an SBC-6120 kit that I bought secondhand (but not the really nice
front panel). STG doesn't offer the kits anymore..... I wish I could get
the front panel.

One issue with the Gerbers there is they are original Gerber format and not
the newer RS-274X Extended Gerber that we use now. So I had trouble
getting them to come up in moder viewers.

I agree that it would be best to build a board that was compatible with the
nice ROM Panel/Monitor code that is on those pages, which is GPL licensed.
Nikolay Dimitrov
2014-06-19 20:35:10 UTC
Guys, just one off-topic question:

Do you know whether on the SBC-6120 front panel the DATA blinkenlights
are blinking only on bus data transfers, or also on instruction fetches?
How they're blinking?

Regards,
Nikolay
G. Beat
2014-06-21 14:38:15 UTC
Andrew -

Since this was first offered about 7 years ago, I have discovered that 30 additional kits were assembled and sold,
through the KickStarter funding mechanism (30 backers pledging $19,412, minimum pledge $599) in 2013.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sparetimegizmos/classic-pdp8-replica

greg
Andrew Bingham
Ian May
2014-06-22 08:54:28 UTC
Hi all,
RCA CDP1802AE processors are US$5.97 at the acpsurplus eBay store at the
moment
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390303914933?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
. These are chips that will run on 10 Volts (no "C" in the part number),
and according to the data sheet with a 10 Volt core voltage and a 5 Volt
I/O voltage a 4 MHz clock can be used up to 85 degrees C. With a 10 Volt
core and I/O voltage (not easy to do since you probably have to interface
to 5 Volt RAM and ROM) 6.4 MHz is possible to 85 degrees (and 8 MHz at 25
degrees!).

Some Chinese eBay sellers have CDP1806ACE chips for sale which will do 5
MHz at 5 Volts but the ones that I have received have been re-marked to
make them appear as new - YMMV. You would need to be very brave if you were
to try buying a CDP1802AE from a Chinese seller. You would most likely
receive a re-marked CDP1802ACE that will fail very quickly if given more
than 5 Volts. (I have received chips marked as HD6309s that were actually
HD6309Es - the external clock generator version - the "E" distinction was
clearly not understood by the person who did the re-marking).

Making an ECB 1802 board will have the problem that it will be difficult to
use the fancy I/O systems, EF lines and DMA for instance, when you have to
present Z80 like signals to the bus, but it shouldn't be too difficult to
do. It is on my "something to think about" list for later in the year.
Cheers,
Ian.
Edward Snider
2014-06-27 00:47:51 UTC
Thanks for the link Ian. I grabbed a few for a the little cosmac elf clone
(membership card) I'm building and future projects.
Pretty interesting microprocessor.

Ed