[N8VEM: 17148] ECB Bus Monitor, diode question
Fabio Battaglia
2014-01-15 17:40:35 UTC
Hello,
I almost completed my ECB Bus Monitor board: all the ICs are waiting on my
desk and all but one of the passive components are soldered to the board.

Now on to the question: I don't have AA119 or 1N270 germanium diodes
around, but I have some Schottky diodes (BAT43, to be precise) around. Is
it mandatory for D1 to be a germanium diode or can I replace it with
something else?
Sergey
Fabio Battaglia
2014-01-15 19:40:52 UTC
Post by Sergey
I think the important thing about that diode is low voltage drop - so
Schottky diode can be used instead.
Goodie! Time to finish soldering the passive components then! By
tomorrow in the evening, the board will be completed :-)
Dott. Fabio Battaglia
Werner S
2014-01-18 18:53:36 UTC
Can I use the following diode (AA143, Germanium, DO7, 25V, 0,5A) for D1?
p***@public.gmane.org
2014-01-19 21:58:29 UTC
Hi Werner,

This is a strange diode - the datasheet states that max. reverse voltage is
25V, and specs also give reverse current @50V, which is awkward.

My opinion about this Ge diode - I would love to listen to it on AM SW radio,
but for a digital circut I would put a regular device like BAT42/43 (any
standard impulse diode with forward voltage drop ~0.3V will do the same job).

Regards,
picmaster
http://www.reichelt.de/index.html?&ACTION=7&LA=3&OPEN=0&INDEX=0&FILENAME=A400%252FAA143_MICR.pdf
Wolfgang Kabatzke
2014-01-19 22:08:53 UTC
Hi Werner,

the substitution is simple. The Germanium diode was only used because
the forward voltage is reound about 0,25 ... 0,3V. You may also use a
Shottky diode like BAT42 or BAT85.

Regards

Wolfgang
Post by Werner S
Can I use the following diode (AA143, Germanium, DO7, 25V, 0,5A) for D1?
http://www.reichelt.de/index.html?&ACTION=7&LA=3&OPEN=0&INDEX=0&FILENAME=A400%252FAA143_MICR.pdf
Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hansastrasse 9

DE - 21 502 Geesthacht