[N8VEM: 19466] SBC to start with - N8VEM v2 or Mark IV?
John Snowdon
2015-04-09 08:07:01 UTC
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build a system based on the N8VEM design, purely for tinkering and playing around with CP/M.

I was all set to put a request in for the N8VEM v2 pcb but after reading up a little more it seems that the Z180 based Mark IV is a little later design (faster cpu and SD storage built in) and may be the better one to go for, for a newbie? Any pros or cons to be aware of when comparing the two boards?

I'll probably be building my own enclosure and would like to add the 8 slot backplane and VGA + PS/2 (probably PropIO) to make the system self-hosted, as well as have room for future expansion.

Does this sound like a sensible combination? Mark IV + PropIO?

Cheers,
John
2015-04-09 14:13:37 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
On 04/09/2015 01:07 AM, John Snowdon wrote:
cite="mid:a6cf35fb-5129-4d71-b054-***@googlegroups.com"
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build a system based on the N8VEM design, purely for tinkering and playing around with CP/M.

I was all set to put a request in for the N8VEM v2 pcb but after reading up a little more it seems that the Z180 based Mark IV is a little later design (faster cpu and SD storage built in) and may be the better one to go for, for a newbie? Any pros or cons to be aware of when comparing the two boards?

I'll probably be building my own enclosure and would like to add the 8 slot backplane and VGA + PS/2 (probably PropIO) to make the system self-hosted, as well as have room for future expansion.

Does this sound like a sensible combination? Mark IV + PropIO?
</pre>
John,<br>
As the designer of the Z180 Mark IV, my reply is slightly biased.&nbsp;
;-)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Mark IV has been meant to be a higher-speed update to the
SBC v2, the Z80 flagship for so many years.&nbsp; The ideas behind the
Mark IV were several:&nbsp; a.) faster processor, b.) on-board
peripherals (SDcard &amp; IDE), c.) expansion via the N8VEM/Kontron
external bus.<br>
The SD card interface on the Mark IV has, for me, proved very
versatile.&nbsp; With a $3 adapter from eBay (or other source) the IDE
interface is good for fast CF card support.&nbsp; This 8-bit IDE
implementation does not support hard drives, all of which seem to be
16-bit.&nbsp; The serial interface is compatible with the SBC v2 serial
interface, so there is no difference there.&nbsp; Both boards can use the
PropIO v2 as a console.<br>
SBC v2 and Mark IV run both the RomWBW BIOS and UNA BIOS.&nbsp; A
development version of Fuzix (Unix-like) is now bootable on the Mark
IV.<br>
--John<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
John Snowdon
2015-04-09 14:33:01 UTC
Biased replies are fine, and that sounds like all the justification I need
:-)

I must say that I'm rather impressed by how much love there is for
developing these new 'vintage' systems; I just wish another area that I'm
interested in - the Inmos Transputer - had a fraction of the interest.

Now, where to get the components delivered to so that they don't get
spotted by my better half....
John Snowdon
2015-04-18 08:47:44 UTC
Hi John, Mark IV arrived safely today, thanks!
Post by John Snowdon
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to build a system based on the N8VEM design, purely for tinkering and playing around with CP/M.
I was all set to put a request in for the N8VEM v2 pcb but after reading up a little more it seems that the Z180 based Mark IV is a little later design (faster cpu and SD storage built in) and may be the better one to go for, for a newbie? Any pros or cons to be aware of when comparing the two boards?
I'll probably be building my own enclosure and would like to add the 8 slot backplane and VGA + PS/2 (probably PropIO) to make the system self-hosted, as well as have room for future expansion.
Does this sound like a sensible combination? Mark IV + PropIO?
John,
As the designer of the Z180 Mark IV, my reply is slightly biased. ;-)
The Mark IV has been meant to be a higher-speed update to the SBC v2, the
Z80 flagship for so many years. The ideas behind the Mark IV were
several: a.) faster processor, b.) on-board peripherals (SDcard & IDE),
c.) expansion via the N8VEM/Kontron external bus.
The SD card interface on the Mark IV has, for me, proved very versatile.
With a $3 adapter from eBay (or other source) the IDE interface is good for
fast CF card support. This 8-bit IDE implementation does not support hard
drives, all of which seem to be 16-bit. The serial interface is compatible
with the SBC v2 serial interface, so there is no difference there. Both
boards can use the PropIO v2 as a console.
SBC v2 and Mark IV run both the RomWBW BIOS and UNA BIOS. A development
version of Fuzix (Unix-like) is now bootable on the Mark IV.
--John
Jack Weatherilt
2015-05-09 11:08:11 UTC

I'm an absolute newbie for the topic, but I'm really interested, just a bit
lost in where to start. I would like to buy a Mark IV PCB, where can I get
one?

Thanks,
Jack
William R Sowerbutts
2015-05-09 13:53:46 UTC
Hi Jack

There's an inventory of available PCBs here;

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/35044530/PCB%20Inventory

The wiki used to be public but has recently become subscriber-only, which I
hope is a only transient problem.

Anyway the answer to your query is: Send $25 plus shipping to John Coffman
(whom you've CC'd). The Mark IV PCB is a little more expensive as it requires
a four-PCB board due to the high level of integration.

If you look in the mailing list archives on google I have posted a list of
the parts to order from Farnell required to assemble the board --
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/n8vem/xY8YC9Q0VKI/MA3pPIvk_FkJ -- suggest you
check this against John's latest bill of materials before ordering, in
particular several of the quantities will be in excess of what is actually
required.

Will
Hi,
William R Sowerbutts
2015-05-09 13:56:35 UTC
The Mark IV PCB is a little more expensive as it requires a four-PCB board
due to the high level of integration.
I mean of course "four-layer PCB" rather than "four-PCB board".

Will