[N8VEM: 17454] Orientation of sockets on 8 port backplane board
neilbradley
2014-03-01 21:15:46 UTC
I'm trying to figure out what the orientation of the 8 port backplane's
sockets are. Does this look correct? Judging by the pictures I've seen
elsewhere, it does, but I wanted to double check with the experts lest I
screw up and solder it up wrong. ;-) Here is a link to the picture:

Thanks!

-->Neil
Fabio Battaglia
2014-03-01 21:21:21 UTC
On my 8 slot backplanes the component side of the mounted PCBs do _NOT_
face the power connector. That is, mine are mounted in the opposite
direction of yours.
See the attached photo as a reference...
Post by neilbradley
I'm trying to figure out what the orientation of the 8 port
backplane's sockets are. Does this look correct? Judging by the
pictures I've seen elsewhere, it does, but I wanted to double check
with the experts lest I screw up and solder it up wrong. ;-) Here is a
http://www.synthcom.com/~nb/backplane.jpg
Thanks!
-->Neil
Vince Mulhollon
2014-03-01 22:07:33 UTC
Post by neilbradley
I'm trying to figure out what the orientation of the 8 port backplane's
sockets are.
Fabio is correct.

Another strategy is when I built my first board / backplane I guessed,
plugged a board in (with power off) and did a resistance test from ground
of the board to the ground of the power jack and also 5V. That was a bare
board without any components, a populated board might give weird results
depending on the ohmmeter voltage etc.
neilbradley