[N8VEM: 16565] Specialized Tools for This Hobby
Jim Strickland
2013-11-24 08:30:18 UTC
I have to say that using solder paste and a hot air rework gun made putting
the SD card socket on my ParaPortProp board a joy. It really is like magic
when the solder melts in the puddle of flux and flows right to the
connection where it's supposed to. It also worked quite well for soldering
the tab on the LM3940 to the board. So I thought I'd start the topic: Does
anyone else have specialized tools that they recommend for this hobby?

I may be at first powerup tomorrow, if I'm feeling brave and can live
without the floppy drive. (Forgot to order the 8mhz crystal.)

-JRS
Borut
2013-12-04 19:42:59 UTC
I find watchmaker's loupe with 10x magnification among the best tools for
checking the soldiering.
I don't like logic probes and use an oscilloscope instead.
I am also starting to use Open Bench Logic Sniffer more and more.

Bo/
Jim Strickland
2013-12-05 17:42:06 UTC
Oh yes. I have a 4 channel logic shrimp analyzer that has been a huge help.
Jim Strickland
2013-12-07 19:53:36 UTC
Also, those autoelectric.cn minipro programmers they sell on ebay for about 50 bucks? They work fine for programming the Zeta's flash chip. Waiting for an eprom eraser to determine if they do anything else well, but mine has read all the eproms I've thrown at it so far. It can also read and write those winbond flash chips they love to use for modern motherboard bios chips, handy for unbricking motherboards.

I have this one, that comes with adapters to put non DIP chips in it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320947942396?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649