[N8VEM: 17561] NitrOS 9 software repositories?
Borut
2014-03-11 07:29:57 UTC
Hi!

Are there any repositories with software for NitrOS9 on the net?
Specifically i am interested in software that doesn't
utilize CoCo's graphic, but could work on N8VEM 6x0x board if NitrOS9 was
ported to it.
Kip Koon
2014-03-12 00:37:40 UTC
Hi 6809/6309 SBC VME PCB Users and Future Users!

The entire NitrOS-9 source code repository is available for all who wish to see it and build the entire NitrOS-9 distribution disk image set. The following link describes the entire process of obtaining all the tools necessary to assemble and build all the Coco disks and how to download the NitrOS-9 Source Code repository itself.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nitros9/index.php?title=Building_NitrOS9

The tools are written to run on Linux so I use Cygwin running under Windows 7 64-bit edition to run the entire operation. I’m told that MingW works also. I’ve never tried it though. With Cygwin, you actually have a shell terminal window to use. It really looks and operates very much like Linux. Not knowing what commands I would need from the Cygwin installation package, I installed everything.

To get a feel for how NitrOS-9 operates which also feels very similar to Linux and Unix, you can experiment with NitrOS-9 for the Coco 3 by using VCC – The Virtual Color Computer 3 emulator for the Windows PC. I’ll have to find out what the Coco 3 emulator for Linux is.

Read and follow the directions carefully on the above mentioned link. I followed it a while back when I was having problems setting up my laptop PC to fully build the NitrOS-9 Distribution disk images and finally I got everything working great. The individual who put those directions up said to follow them exactly! Once put together though, downloading the latest changes and creating the latest disk images is really a breeze once the initial repository has been fully downloaded. I’ll be happy to Skype with anyone and let them see how nice the process runs when building the distribution. It does take a while for LWTools to assemble all the software though. Take a look at what this wonderful Operating System has to offer for 6809 and 6309 based computer systems. Have fun! Take care my friends.

Kip

Are there any repositories with software for NitrOS9 on the net? Specifically i am interested in software that doesn't
utilize CoCo's graphic, but could work on N8VEM 6x0x board if NitrOS9 was ported to it.

Bo/
Aaron Wolfe
2014-03-12 01:48:33 UTC
The main OS9 / 6809 software archive is:

ftp://rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/

Much of the software there is for os9 on the Tandy coco, but not all. Even
a lot of the stuff written for the coco originally may work or be easy to
port. Most os9 software even on the coco did not use the gfx hardware.