[N8VEM: 18510] Freerouter.net as Ooffline-Version for KiCAD
Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
2014-08-03 14:36:22 UTC
Hello friends,

I was a longer time "off" because I payed the price for the job.

I have now some more time to finalize some unfinished projects. I wonder
that www.freerouter.net is broken and not available. Ok, there is an patent
struggle ... I found some tips in the internet to start freerouter.net
offline. But I couldnÂŽt find the JAVA-Files. There are no tips on the
KiCad-homepage for an offline-modus.

Then I found on N8VEM some file. bute they are not usable.And the
QAutoRouter has no descriptions and documentations. May somebody help me to
realize an quick installation of freerrouter.net in offline-modus.

I have:

- Windows 7 Professional
- 64 Bit

I found in the internet a file freerouter.exe, but this file is not
executable under Win 7 64 Bit.

Thank You so much for help.
Best regards

Wolfgang
oscarv
2014-08-03 15:12:14 UTC
Wolfgang,
I found some tips in the internet to start freerouter.net offline. But I
couldnÂŽt find the JAVA-Files. There are no tips on the KiCad-homepage for
an offline-modus.
I had the same trouble. Anyway, frouting.net is now available from github
with step by step instructions on how to compile it in the Netbeans IDE:

https://github.com/nikropht/FreeRouting

It works perfectly under Win7/64 - for me. But it seems that Java has some
security certificate updates or whatever (I passionately hate Java so I did
not explore further). So I could only run it from *within *the Netbeans IDE
itself unless I change the Java security permissions in the Windows control
panel.

If you want, try the two download links to my compiled version and zipped
Netbeans project directory. I'd be curious to find out if they work for
others - it saves some hassle.

Regards,

Oscar.
oscarv
2014-08-03 15:24:26 UTC
Wolfgang,
Post by oscarv
If you want, try the two download links to my compiled version
I sent these links separately by private mail, I should add.

Regards,
Ants Pants
2014-08-03 20:24:16 UTC
Hi Wolfgang,

i have had a similar issue in the past few months, below is a link to a
website with the java files, and the website describes how you modify (with
a text editor) the paths within these jnlp files for your specific machine,
so when you start freerouter (via web start) via kicad it will run the jnlp
files that you have in your /bin folder inside your kicad directory. from
what i understand (im not big on java) the web start features gets "around"
trying to run the java file outright and the security issues associated
with that, i have however had issues with the latest JRE installed on my
PC, i would suggest maby a version that is one or two generations old, you
will still get pop-ups asking for your to permit operation and to permit
files access etc, but if the above procedure is followed you should end up
with freerouter being able to be run via kicad web start (also check the
comments in the link - some useful info there too)

http://amichalec.net/2013/08/offline-freerouter-kicad/

Regards,
Antony
Wolfgang Kabatzke
2014-08-03 20:51:49 UTC
Post by Ants Pants
[...]
Hi Antony,

thank You for this tip. I found this webpage some days before. I tested
all ideas and versions etc. and than I was complete confused ... an many
hours are in the trash. This is not that what we had as ideas when JAVA
came up. Now I test one way from Oscar to run the application under
NetBeans... and this works without any problems. Ok, an direkt interface
is better, but I need an usabale solution.

Thank You and best regards

Wolfgang
--
Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hansastrasse 9

DE - 21 502 Geesthacht
Deutschland / Germany

Phone: +49 4152 93 18 130 NEW!!!
oscarv
2014-08-03 22:15:53 UTC
i have however had issues with the latest JRE installed on my PC, i would
suggest maby a version that is one or two generations old,
As I understand it, newer versions of Java suddenly require web start
programs to have a security certificate (which you need to buy). The easy
solution is to temporarily set Java security to Lowest in the Windows
Control Panel. You can also create an exception for your local domain.

Or, 3rd option, if like me you get a rash from just thinking about all
Java's self-inflicted problems, you run it straight from the Netbeans IDE.

Now it seems to works for Wolfgang, here is the download link to the
Netbeans project directory for Freerouting. It iset up exactly like the
howto on Github told me to do it. It should allow you to just load the
project in Netbeans and run it:
Netbeans Freerouting project directory
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_jM3_1AFMbMcS05dm9JZC1kNGM/edit?usp=sharing>

Regards,

Oscar.
Kip Koon
2014-08-05 01:57:51 UTC
Hi Everyone!

I use to run Kicad and liked it. I also used Freerouting as well and though it was slow it worked. I did quite a bit of learning how to design PCBs using Kicad, the one day Freerouting quit working. At that time I did not know how to get Freerouting to work. I had many problems with Java versions, so I changed to Eagle and never looked back.

Now that you guys have come up with a way to use Freerouting without the web site, I’m thinking of getting Kicad set up to use it since Eagle Professional is not compatible with Kicad. Great work you guys for coming up with a solution.

I’m curious though, is there a Kicad to Eagle converter?

Kip Koon

computerdoc-***@public.gmane.org

http://computerpcdoc.com/