[N8VEM: 16631] zeta sysgen to ram drive?
Jim Strickland
2013-12-07 22:29:28 UTC
I'm a CP/M newbie, so this is probably old hat to everyone else. I noticed that the boot rom gives me the option to boot to my ram drive, but when I attempt to sysgen the ramdrive, sysgen complains that drive A does not have reserved tracks. What am I missing here?

RomWBW...

ZETA Z80 @ 20MHz ROM=512KB RAM=512KB
UART0: IO=0x68 16450 BAUD=38400
MD: UNITS=2 ROMDISK=448KB RAMDISK=416KB
FD: IO=0x36 UNITS=2
PPIDE: IO=0x60 UNITS=2

N8VEM HBIOS v2.5.2, Build 18, 29-Sep-2013

A=RAM B=ROM C=FD0 D=FD1 E=PPIDE0-00 F=PPIDE0-01 G=PPIDE0-02 H=PPIDE0-03
Boot: (M)onitor, (R)OM, or Drive Letter ===> BOOT FROM ROM

CP/M-80 2.2 for ZETA Z80, CBIOS v2.5.2

A0>b:sysgen a:

<screen cleared here>

SYSGEN.COM 9/29/2013 v2.5.2.18 dwg - Write System Image to Storage Media
Sorry, A: Drive does not have reserved tracks

A0>

-JRS
AG5AT
2013-12-08 00:27:13 UTC
Basically, it is saying "You can't do that". There is no place to put the
system.
Putting it on the ram drive is kind of a waste of time and resources. It
would be the same code as in the ROM.

Aug
Jim Strickland
2013-12-08 01:13:31 UTC
The QP/M installer, which I was interested in booting off the ramdisk (since my floppy system doesn't work yet) requires Sysgen. Plus, if you can't sysgen the ramdisk, why offer it in the bootloader options? -JRS
Jim Strickland
2013-12-08 01:17:07 UTC
Why would I want to do that? Well, the QP/M installer, which I was interested in booting off the ramdisk (since my floppy system doesn't work yet) requires Sysgen. Plus, if you can't sysgen the ramdisk, why offer it in the bootloader options?
AG5AT
2013-12-08 02:01:09 UTC
Booting from the rom is a standard way on N8VEM or Zeta.
Aug
Wayne Warthen
2013-12-09 16:41:32 UTC
For what it is worth, I have always considered the RAM disk to be temporary
storage. Since it is fairly small, I didn't want to reserve space for a
system image. Although Zeta is built to preserve RAM contents, it is not
the usual configuration for the other N8VEM variants, so I did not really
consider it a viable place for a system image. I realize it probably is a
good way to sue Zeta and will consider making it possible for this reason.

Yes, you are absolutely right that it is confusing to see it offered as an
option in the boot loader when it is not possible. It is this way because
I leverage a temporary copy of the OS to perform the boot load and I did
not want to assume drive mappings at that point (A: could be mapped to a
real drive at that point). The boot loader is on my list for a complete
overhaul.

Thanks,

Wayne
Jim Strickland
2013-12-09 19:55:27 UTC
Ahh, okay, thanks. I thought I was missing some step in formatting or something. No worries. Thanks.

-JRS