[N8VEM: 16658] Oscillators in the UK
Samuel Castledine
2013-12-11 00:45:23 UTC
Hello All,

It's been a while since I last fiddled with the Zeta I built (but I'm
persevering!). I'm still having problems with the oscillators and as such I
am looking to replace them so i was wondering if anyone on here was in the
United Kingdom and had any of the following they would be willing to sell :

2 *
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ABRACON/ACO-8000MHZ-EK/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt8zWNA7msRCufK6FojpZgBol2LWy2yIwI=
1 *
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ECS/ECS-100AX-18432/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt8zWNA7msRCkZF6o3VgKlSBPpGLyq2pks=
1 *
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Epson-Toyocom/C-002RX-327680K-EPBFREE/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsBj6bBr9Q9acukpafrIaZ1yd2OUFKhF0I=

As the cost of them only comes to ~£3.50 however the postage is £12 which
is a rather large fee for ~£3.50 worth of chips :/

Even if you don't have any I'd be very appreciative if anyone knew any UK
suppliers without a massive postage cost :)

Sam
Borut
2013-12-11 10:38:31 UTC
Hi Sam,

Farnell/Element 14 has lower mailing costs, they send me stuff from UK to
Slovenia for 5Eur per package.
Unfortunately they don't have 1.8432 Mhz oscillators, but they are
available on ebay in pack of 10
for somewhere around 14 U$ + a long wait.
I usually pull clock crystals from old PC boards, but if they are 12pf
parts, your RTC will run faster by a few minutes per month.

Bo/
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ECS/ECS-100AX-18432/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt8zWNA7msRCkZF6o3VgKlSBPpGLyq2pks=<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.mouser.com%2FProductDetail%2FECS%2FECS-100AX-18432%2F%3Fqs%3DsGAEpiMZZMt8zWNA7msRCkZF6o3VgKlSBPpGLyq2pks%3D&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE8h-Fb_F7jpxp3cabGzTcwmUqN1w>
Samuel Castledine
Samuel Castledine
2013-12-12 06:29:21 UTC
HI Borut (and anyone else),

Had a look on Element 14 and found these :

http://uk.farnell.com/iqd-frequency-products/lf-x352a/crystal-oscillator-8mhz/dp/9712470
http://uk.farnell.com/iqd-frequency-products/lf-x337b/crystal-oscillator-1-843200mhz/dp/9712410
http://uk.farnell.com/ael-crystals/x32k768l009/crystal-32-768000khz/dp/9509690

Would anyone be able to confirm or deny that these match the specs of the
ones on Mouser that I posted.

Thanks in advance :)

Sam
Borut
2013-12-13 14:33:41 UTC
I don think first two are available, if you are not particular (for CPU)
you could probably use 10MHz instead of
8Mhz (depending on your parts). For floppy controller you might try to
adapt a smd part.
http://uk.farnell.com/ael-crystals/o10m000000l004/crystal-oscillator-10mhz/dp/9509992

1.8Mhz farnell doesn't carry, so you have to find another source.
RTC crystal is not the correct item, since it has load capacitance of 12.5
pf and 1302 requires a 6pF part like

http://uk.farnell.com/citizen-finetech-miyota/cfs206-32-768kdzb-ub/crystal-watch-32-768khz-cyl-6pf/dp/1457085
or
http://uk.farnell.com/euroquartz/mh32768l/crystal-2mm-x-6mm-32-768khz-6pf/dp/1641085

A word of caution, I haven't used these crystals myself, i savage them from
old digital clocks, watches
or PC boards. They might run a few minutes slow or fast per month, but i
don't mind.

Borut

HI Borut (and anyone else),