[N8VEM: 15810] Windows port to N8 now running solitaire
Douglas W. Goodall
2013-04-01 20:40:24 UTC
Friends,

I thought you might like to know that my port of Windows 8 to the N8 is
now running well enough
so that you can run the most popular Windows application, Solitaire.

It was a bit tricky moving the GDI code into the TMS9918 graphics
processor to achieve better
performance.

The only rough edge left in the port is the need to have the N8
participate in an always on Internet
connection so the Genuine Windows verification code can run as needed.
This requirement can
be satisfied by using the second serial port for a SLIP or PPP connection.

The second most commonly seen application is running as well as can be
expected, but can only
be seen in it's expected color when a color display is attached via the
composite video connector.
If you don't have a color monitor, you can always use a pair of glasses
with some colored plastic
glued on so the display appears in the expected blue color. If you do
that, the BSOD appears in it's
expected look and feel and can provide the same feeling the original did
while running on a PC.

This open source port can be downloaded from our subversion server using
the usual type of command.

"svn checkout svn://goodall.com/Windows-April1-2013

Have fun,

Douglas
George Harris
2013-04-02 15:39:40 UTC
Oh my goodness. This really is retro computing. This certainly
overshadows my Android port to the SBC V2 to create a retro tablet. I
almost had the accelerometers working too. I kept unplugging the serial
cable to the terminal as I was doing motion testing with it.

This is really fine work Douglas. I'm going to drop my effort and refocus
on my Linux port for the Commodore Plus/4 so I can run Wine on it.

;) George
Douglas Goodall
2013-04-03 06:23:48 UTC
You are my kind of guy George :-)

I think android is better than Windows, so your port wins this years 1APR competition.

Drink the wine instead.

Douglas
Frank Vanderydt
2013-10-28 03:29:24 UTC
At this moment Android is better then windows 8.1, tablets are more popular
then laptops.
I know and I hear the stories every day from my customers.
I work in that kind of business. :)

Some people even use their phone instead of a laptop.