[N8VEM: 16091] The list seems very quiet lately
Bill Lewis
2013-08-17 20:00:18 UTC
Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
2013-08-18 06:15:37 UTC
Hi Bill,

I think itŽs this year an hot summer (in Germany itŽs very hot) and we have
holiday time...and this is ending in the middle of September. But I think
the members have many new ideas ... (:-).

Wolfgang
The list seems very quiet lately.
Douglas Goodall
2013-08-18 08:07:16 UTC
Wolfgang (and friends),

I am still around, and do monitor the group postings so as to catch
questions
about the areas of N8VEM that I am familiar with.

When I first joined the project, I desired to have a system like some of
us that had
multiple processor boards on line, and where you could switch back and
forth easily.

I had adventures in ECB, having built an SBC V2 and some peripheral
boards. Then I
spent several years working with Wayne on the RomWBW software distribution.

A real turning point for me however was the building of the N8-2312,
which includes
a wide variety of peripheral subsystems on-board. Still the ECB
connector allows for
expansion

My personal goals in the project mainly focused on learning practical
skills for
construction and debugging of digital logic. I have had a ton of fun in
the project so far,
but my current direction is to move into system on a chip hardware,
which is very
much the current trend in contemporary embedded work. So I am studying a
variety
of SoC's with the intention of interfacing them to my N8-2312. This
interface may be
via asynchronous serial ports or via parallel GPIO pins (8255). This
direction should
provide more fun, learning , and result in developments I can share with
my friends
in the project. In the same way the Propeller CPU can me used with out
vintage H/W,
Texas instruments has a variety of inexpensive SoC's. Also very
interesting to me are the
ARM based systems which are compact, highly functional, and inexpensive.

Wolfgang has just produced a new RAM Floppy board which I will be
integrating next.

I know there are a variety of reasons that members of our project devote
time and
effort building and learning with these boards. For me from this point
on, it is to gain
further skills that I may use to obtain work in the area of embedding,
which I expect to be
big for quite some time into the future.

I look forward to working more with those of you that have similar
interests. If there is
anything we learn to do hanging around here, it is interfacing. :-)

Douglas Goodall
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hi Bill,
I think it愀 this year an hot summer (in Germany it愀 very hot) and we
Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
2013-08-18 08:58:31 UTC
Hello friends,

It seems so that itŽs quit lately on the list. Ok, I may speek only for me
and my interests. ItŽs so that the hardware of RAMFLOPPY as R11 is ready
now in a form that now is in prototype state and I hope that Douglas, Wane
and I can integrate this PCB into Rom WBW...
And I have other ideas for hardware...

IŽm living in Germany and in Germany were in the past many activities in
ECB and Z80 and 68000 Hardware. So, IŽm an old "father" in the community of
hardware AND software. And my ideas are:
DMA for Z80 user of the ECB-System (first ideas are on the paper and in
KiCad)
New CPU without Memory-Disk, but with BOOT-EPROM, WAIT-State-logic for I/O
and memory (itŽs called a "pure CPU")
A Grafic board for European user with EF9366 (itŽs based on a former layout
from 30 years ago to use an simple BW-TV as monitor)
A CENTRONIX PCB with hardware and connector to connect my old Centronix
printer directly ...

And the final integration of Ramfloppy

I think that this is stuff enaugh ... and the list may participate ...

But I learned that itŽs better to publish solutions which are tested and
working. I learned this in the development of RAMFloppy... I think that is
my personal view of things...

And if there is time I may publish my system... why not... I have an
professional ECB-housing etc. but there was no time and not enaugh running
hardware to fill this housing .. We will see.

The next step .. I think with great success .. is the final shoot of
RAmfloppy

Have a nice time and please be not so quiet

Wolfgang
The list seems very quiet lately.
Sergey
2013-08-19 18:56:07 UTC
I am still here... too much work during the week and busy weekends...
trying to make sure I use every day of sunny Oregon summer, before rains
return...
The list seems very quiet lately.
Wayne Warthen
2013-08-19 21:38:44 UTC
I'm definitely still around too... I'm deep into a bunch of work on
creating a CP/M 3 (Plus) distribution of RomWBW as well as a native,
ROM-based implementation of ZCPR 3.3. It is just time consuming and I have
been very busy at my paying job lately!

I should also mention that over the weekend I got one of Wolfgang's
RAMFLOPPY prototype boards working. I expect to have RomWBW support for
them very soon.

--Wayne