[N8VEM: 19936] Flash4
William R Sowerbutts
2015-08-03 19:28:44 UTC
Hello

I've released a new version of my flash ROM reprogrammer, Flash4.

http://sowerbutts.com/8bit/flash4-v1.2.3.zip
https://github.com/willsowerbutts/flash4

This release adds support for directly driving the memory paging hardware on
the N8VEM SBC-V2 as well as the Zeta SBC (version 1) and potentially other
systems that use the same memory banking scheme. This method of accessing the
flash chip is specified with the new "/N8VEMSBC" command line option.

Please note that when the BIOS (UNA BIOS or recent RomWBW) support memory
banking you should always use that in preference to direct hardware access.
Flash4 should generally auto-detect their presence.

This feature was added so that builders with very old versions of RomWBW in
ROM can perform an in-system upgrade to a newer version. Old versions of
RomWBW did not expose memory banking operations to user programs. Jeff Davis
has kindly tested upgrading his Zeta SBC v1 from RomWBW 1.3.1 to 2.7.1 using
this new feature and reports that the reflashing was a success.

Thanks

Will

Wayne Warthen