[N8VEM: 19575] EhBASIC for 68K posted
Richard Cini
2015-05-07 00:22:02 UTC
All ‹

I put a copy of EhBASIC for the mini-68K board on the Wiki. This version was
modified to work with BIOS09 but right now can only be loaded from the MSDOS
partition on a CF card. The load/save function is still active but until I
figure a way to make it a 68K file which can run under CP/M, these functions
won¹t work. I may try to get it working with the ECB Cassette board, but I
think I¹d rather it as a CP/M version.

The next thing I¹m working on is Xmodem and Kermit for the 68k, but those
need CP/M, so it¹s the same problem with trying to cross-compile and
cross-link files.

Enjoy!

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers
2015-05-07 06:26:34 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
Rich,<br>
There is a lot of space in the CP/M-68 400K RomDisk that is part of
the binary release.&nbsp; Would it make sense to put the Basic
interpreter there?<br>
The ROM building directory structure is not part of the BIOS09
release.<br>
--John<br>
On 05/06/2015 05:22 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
put a copy of EhBASIC for the mini-68K board on the Wiki.
This version was modified to work with BIOS09 but right now
can only be loaded from the MSDOS partition on a CF card.
The load/save function is still active but until I figure a
way to make it a 68K file which can run under CP/M, these
functions won&#8217;t work. I may try to get it working with the
ECB Cassette board, but I think I&#8217;d rather it as a CP/M
version.</div>
next thing I&#8217;m working on is Xmodem and Kermit for the 68k,
but those need CP/M, so it&#8217;s the same problem with trying to
cross-compile and cross-link files.</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
Richard Cini
2015-05-07 10:47:16 UTC
John --

The ROM drive is ultimately where I think it should go but I have to get it into an executable form. Right now it's only flat binary loaded at $01000. That's one of the reasons why I'm trying to get this cross-compilation thing working.

There are some significant syntactical differences between EASy68k and gcc-as, mostly with pre-processor directives and how registers are written (a prepended '%').

Sent from my iPhone
Rich,
There is a lot of space in the CP/M-68 400K RomDisk that is part of the binary release. Would it make sense to put the Basic interpreter there?
The ROM building directory structure is not part of the BIOS09 release.
--John
All —
I put a copy of EhBASIC for the mini-68K board on the Wiki. This version was modified to work with BIOS09 but right now can only be loaded from the MSDOS partition on a CF card. The load/save function is still active but until I figure a way to make it a 68K file which can run under CP/M, these functions won’t work. I may try to get it working with the ECB Cassette board, but I think I’d rather it as a CP/M version.
The next thing I’m working on is Xmodem and Kermit for the 68k, but those need CP/M, so it’s the same problem with trying to cross-compile and cross-link files.
Enjoy!
Rich
2015-05-07 12:30:20 UTC
Rich,

With Linux 'fdisk' it is easy to make a CP/M partition (type 0x52) at a
known location on a CF card. This partition is then accessible to both
the PC on which something is cross-compiled and CP/M-68. On the PC use
good old 'cpmtools', and CP/M-68 should see and use any CP/M primary
partition.

I believe 0x1000 is the execution start point of any CP/M-68 loaded program.

RE: gcc-as

This is the world's most user-unfriendly assembler, good for processing
'gcc' assembler output, and nothing else.

--John
Post by John Coffman
Rich,
There is a lot of space in the CP/M-68 400K RomDisk that is part of
the binary release. Would it make sense to put the Basic interpreter
there?
The ROM building directory structure is not part of the BIOS09 release.
--John
All âEUR"
I put a copy of EhBASIC for the mini-68K board on the Wiki. This
version was modified to work with BIOS09 but right now can only be
loaded from the MSDOS partition on a CF card. The load/save function
is still active but until I figure a way to make it a 68K file which
can run under CP/M, these functions wonâEUR^(TM)t work. I may try to
get it working with the ECB Cassette board, but I think IâEUR^(TM)d
rather it as a CP/M version.
The next thing IâEUR^(TM)m working on is Xmodem and Kermit for the
68k, but those need CP/M, so itâEUR^(TM)s the same problem with
Richard Cini
2015-05-07 12:56:01 UTC
John --

I actually use a windows-based partition tool for partitioning CF cards. I have a 64mb card with one 32mb FAT partition and 3 type 52 partitions. Works like a charm. I haven't really used cpmtools yet though.

On GCC, the only major gotcha is the register naming. Otherwise I use a batch file so I don't have to type all of the compilation parameters. If you ignore most of the options, it's not too bad :-)

The linker seems to work as well. Proof will be when I try it out tonight. The output file looks like it matches what would be expected for a .68K file. If the test file works, I'll get basic running under CP/M, then Kermit.

Alan Cox
2015-05-07 15:43:06 UTC
Post by John Coffman
RE: gcc-as
This is the world's most user-unfriendly assembler, good for processing
'gcc' assembler output, and nothing else.
There are some significant syntactical differences between EASy68k and
gcc-as, mostly with pre-processor directives and how registers are written
(a prepended '%').
GNU asm for M68K supports a couple of things that are not obvious
outside of C space

Firstly you can use

.mri 1

to turn on "normal" M68K syntax

secondly if your file name ends .S then the usual makefile rules apply
the C preprocessor to it first, which makes it very powerful.

The MinT target for m68k gcc can generate TOS files which might be
close enough to use as a base point.

CP/M 68K binary files are all relocatable so don't all run from
0x1000, CP/M 68K can run at any address range and programs can load
and run other programs in the remaining TPA space rather than
replacing themselves.

See section 3 and section 4 of the programmers guide for the exact
file format and loading specifications.