[N8VEM: 19477] Zeta PPP question
Bob Devries
2015-04-14 01:35:45 UTC
Hi all,

I am in the process of adding a ParPortProp to my Zeta SBC.

I'm fairly sure that I have it all connected correctly, but...

The Zeta is still "talking" to its serial port.
The ROMWBW signon comes on slowly (IMHO).
After a while it says Parportprop not responding.

Does anyone have any clues where I should start looking? Do I have a
jumper set wrongly?

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia
Max Scane
2015-04-14 02:22:57 UTC
Hi Bob,

Have you checked your PPP card? There is a specific version of firmware
that needs to be loaded into the eeprom. Do you see it boot on the VGA
screen?

Also check the PPI power jumpers as I think the PPP is powered through the
26 way cable.

Cheers!

Max
Bob Devries
2015-04-14 02:36:30 UTC
Thanks, Max.
I found that I'd mis-interpreted the JP1 jumper; it needs to be on to
get power from the Zeta PCB via the 26 way connector.

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia

PS: is there a way to change the screen colours?
Wayne Warthen
2015-04-14 03:11:51 UTC
Hi Bob,

Changing the screen colors can only be done by changing the Propeller
firmware code. With that said, it would be a pretty easy change -- just a
couple constants as I recall.

Thanks,

Wayne
Post by Max Scane
Hi Bob,
Have you checked your PPP card? There is a specific version of firmware
that needs to be loaded into the eeprom. Do you see it boot on the VGA
screen?
Also check the PPI power jumpers as I think the PPP is powered through
the 26 way cable.
Cheers!
Max
<javascript:>
Bob Devries
2015-04-14 05:03:47 UTC
I guess that means that the PPP is not completely ANSI compatible?
Are there any plans to add CSI and SGR ANSI codes?

I guess the screen blanking is hard-coded also? :(

The above is one of my pet hates... IMHO, in this day and age, with LED
screens, screen blanking is not only un-necessary but quite useless.

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia
Post by Max Scane
screen?
Also check the PPI power jumpers as I think the PPP is powered
through
Post by Max Scane
the 26 way cable.
Cheers!
Max
<javascript:>
Post by Max Scane
Hi all,
I am in the process of adding a ParPortProp to my Zeta SBC.
I'm fairly sure that I have it all connected correctly, but...
The Zeta is still "talking" to its serial port.
The ROMWBW signon comes on slowly (IMHO).
After a while it says Parportprop not responding.
Does anyone have any clues where I should start looking? Do I
have a
Post by Max Scane
jumper set wrongly?
Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia
it,
<http://googlegroups.com>
<javascript:>
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/__group/n8vem
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/__optout
Post by Max Scane
<https://groups.google.com/d/optout
<https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
Post by Max Scane
send
<javascript:>
Wayne Warthen
2015-04-14 14:00:30 UTC
The terminal emulation was inherited from the original PropIO project and I
think it got it's terminal emulation module from Vince Briel's PockeTerm.
I have always meant to enhance it, but have never gotten around to it. A
subset of the VT-100 CSI codes is implemented and has always worked well
for me (WordStar, etc.). There are limitations in the display module on
the Propeller that prevent many of the SGR codes from being implemented.
For example, the display driver can only set colors one line at a time,
not in individual character cells. I am aware of alternative Propeller
display drivers that will resolve this, but, have not had time to play with
them.

The screen blanking was added at the request of a few builders. Yes, it is
hard coded. I don't have any simple way of persisting configuration
information on the Propeller, so everything is hard coded I suppose I
could persist configuration information on the host computer and send it to
the Propeller at startup. Again, a matter of time. Screen blanking could
easily be enabled or disabled at build time, so I am open to other folks
thoughts about whether it is desirable or not. Happy to go with the
consensus on that.

The PPP firmware could certainly use some work if anyone is interested in
taking it on... :-)

Thanks,

Wayne
Post by Max Scane
screen?
Also check the PPI power jumpers as I think the PPP is powered
through
Post by Max Scane
the 26 way cable.
Cheers!
Max
<javascript:>
Post by Max Scane
Post by Max Scane
The Zeta is still "talking" to its serial port.
The ROMWBW signon comes on slowly (IMHO).
After a while it says Parportprop not responding.
Does anyone have any clues where I should start looking? Do I
have a
Post by Max Scane
jumper set wrongly?
Regards, Bob Devries