[N8VEM: 18664] Full screen editor needed for CP/M 2.2
Kip Koon
2014-09-11 22:36:15 UTC
Hi James!

I'm trying to remember what the name of the full screen editor you mentioned
in a recent email, I can't seem to find the email. Would you please let me
know what the name of the editor is? Thanks.

Kip Koon

<mailto:computerdoc-***@public.gmane.org> computerdoc-***@public.gmane.org

<http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon>

<http://computerpcdoc.com/> http://computerpcdoc.com/
Alan Cox
Tom Lafleur
2014-09-15 00:14:36 UTC
one can also run wordstar for cp/m
Post by Alan Cox
Vde is pretty decent
Post by Kip Koon
Hi James!
I’m trying to remember what the name of the full screen editor you
mentioned in a recent email, I can’t seem to find the email. Would you
please let me know what the name of the editor is? Thanks.
Kip Koon
http://computerpcdoc.com/
~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Tom Lafleur
James Moxham
2014-09-15 00:28:15 UTC
Good point Tom,

Re "full screen editor", I think Wordstar native is 80x25 and with half
the lines taken up for the menu it isn't really full screen. But it can be
changed easily to 80x40 (there is a utility program to do this), and then
if you know the menu commands you can shrink the menu down and then it
would be full screen.

Cheers, James
Post by Tom Lafleur
one can also run wordstar for cp/m
Post by Alan Cox
Vde is pretty decent
Kip Koon
2014-09-15 15:05:52 UTC
Hi James and CP/M Enthusiasts!

I have Wordstar running with an ANSI display, but the arrow keys are not working. In fact, no arrow keys are working anywhere. Would Mince, microEmacs, or VDE have arrow keys that work, or is that a function of the VGA Display VHDL code in the Multicomp?

Kip Koon

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:44:36 +0930, Tom Lafleur <lafleur-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

one can also run wordstar for cp/m

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Alan Cox <etchedpixels-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

Vde is pretty decent

Wayne Warthen
2014-09-15 16:37:25 UTC
ZDE (included in RomWBW distribution ROM disk) is configured for ANSI and
the arrow keys work. I personally like ZDE because it is very compact and
maximizes use of screen space for editting. Commands seem to be generally
WordStar compatible.

--Wayne
Frank Vanderydt
2014-09-15 20:16:19 UTC
I'm just thinking, but if you would use propio als terminal couldn't the
Kip Koon
2014-09-15 22:00:06 UTC
I’m experimenting with CP/M 2.2 on the Multicomp Microcomputer by Grant Searle. The whole thing fits in the palm of my hand! I love this stuff!

2014-09-15 23:55:15 UTC
Hi Kip,

This is Old-Skool technology - from before keyboards had arrow keys :)
The wordstar commands to move the cursor are on the menu when you are in a
text document, ^E for up, ^X for down, ^S for left and ^R for right. These
form a group on the keyboard.

Now you have something working, this could be a fun project you could try
if you wanted - take the keyboard commands in VHDL that detect the arrow
keys, and remap them so they produce the control keys for Wordstar.

Cheers, James
Post by Kip Koon
Hi James and CP/M Enthusiasts!
I have Wordstar running with an ANSI display, but the arrow keys are not
working. In fact, no arrow keys are working >anywhere. Would Mince,
microEmacs, or VDE have arrow keys that work, or is that a function of
the VGA Display VHDL >code in the Multicomp?
Kip Koon
http://computerpcdoc.com/
Of James Moxham
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2014 8:28 PM
James Moxham
2014-09-16 00:01:51 UTC
D'oh, not ^R for right, it is ^D. How could I forget my Wordstar
shortcuts?!

and you could remap some other keys as well - Page Up could be ^R, page
down ^C and the insert key to ^V. If you got really clever you could map
the End key to ^QD and Home to ^QS.
While we are talking keyboard remapping, @ and " are swapped on the UK vs
US keyboard and Max has already fixed that, as well as a couple of other
symbols.
Cheers, James

Kip Koon
2014-09-16 15:23:24 UTC
Hi James!

Oh yeah, you're right! I forgot about that. I have been using mice for so
long I totally forgot about the keyboard controls for direction! Duh! :)
That's funny!

About the Keyboard remapping. That sounds like an interesting project! How
do I figure all that out? Is the VGA VHDL fairly straight forward to
understand or do I need to find a table equating Keys to 8-bit codes. I
took a look at that list of codes when there was talk about the @ and " keys
swapped. It did not make any sense to me either. How did Max finally
figure it all out? Thanks for the suggestion. It should be a very
interesting project indeed! I'll let you know how I fair with it.

Kip Koon
2014-09-16 17:24:32 UTC
Hi Grant!

I just took a look at the SBCTextDisplayRGB.VHD VHDL code which is quite
interesting. I'm beginning to understand how you implemented all the
control, ESC codes, etc. Do you have a table of all the keys on the PS/2
Keyboard and what their 8-bit codes are? I would like to add some custom
arrow keys controls for use with Wordstar in CP/M. How are the unshifted
keyboard code tables organized? Thank you in advance.

Edward Snider
2014-09-15 18:50:18 UTC
I'm running Wordstar 4.0 on the SBCv2 to write assembly, you can configure
it up to 99 lines if I recall correctly.
I wish it would do more like 150 lines, as that's what my terminal
sw/screen combo can do with clearly displayed text.

Ed

On Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:28:44 PM UTC-5, James Moxham (Dr_Acula)
Post by James Moxham
Good point Tom,
Re "full screen editor", I think Wordstar native is 80x25 and with half
the lines taken up for the menu it isn't really full screen. But it can be
changed easily to 80x40 (there is a utility program to do this), and then
if you know the menu commands you can shrink the menu down and then it
would be full screen.
Cheers, James
one can also run wordstar for cp/m
Post by Alan Cox