[N8VEM: 16714] (Almost) finished building my first N8VEM computer board!
Fabio Battaglia
2013-12-15 11:15:11 UTC
Hello everyone!
First of all, as this is my first message here, I want to quickly introduce myself: I live in Italy, I work as a programmer for embedded systems and I've been a long time passionate of old computers, old arcades and ancient books (which I recognize being a weird association).
I discovered N8VEM a few years ago, when I was searching for some storage solution for an industrial XT clone I recovered and found out about the XT-IDE (I got a pcb from Andrew and I now have one happy XT with 2GB of storage and FreeDOS :-D).
I've always caressed the idea of building an homebrew computer, but what made me jump on the train and buy an SBC from Andrew is that I recently cleaned up my storage room and started cataloging the components salvaged by me and my father in the last 30 years: In one of the boxes I found a nice stock of old Z80, 8080, 8086, 6502 processors, ready for use!

So, here is a photo of my almost completed SBC V2 board:
It boots and works fine: It's just missing the NVRAM controller, the clock, some components for the ECB bus and the bicolor LED (while I have literally kilograms of led, none of those is bi-color :-/). Also, I had to adapt a 4Mhz full can oscillator.

Every component (with the exception of the electrolytic caps) on that board is salvaged, sockets included.

I'm in the process of ordering the missing components for this board, for the ECB backplane and for the Disk I/O V3. I'll post more photos when the build is completed.
Vince Mulhollon
2013-12-15 13:49:47 UTC
That's a nice looking build.

I was intrigued at the "Italy" stamp on the Z-80, did some reading about
Z-80s being made in Italy, and it turns out that one of the hundreds of
companies involved in the merger mania creation of STMicro, had second
sourced the Z80 in Italy in the 80s.

To this day fab lines in Milan and Catania are still making chips (although
probably not Z80s?)
Fabio Battaglia
2013-12-15 18:15:01 UTC
Post by Vince Mulhollon
That's a nice looking build.
Thanks, can't wait to complete it and start thinking about building a
proper case!
Post by Vince Mulhollon
I was intrigued at the "Italy" stamp on the Z-80, did some reading about
Z-80s being made in Italy, and it turns out that one of the hundreds of
companies involved in the merger mania creation of STMicro, had second
sourced the Z80 in Italy in the 80s.
I was surprised myself: every Z80 in the box came from the same producer
and I did not know there was one in Italy (all the CPUs are Z80A, but some
have a slightly different package, covered in black ceramic).
I did not recover those myself, so I have no idea what those processors
were powering: but I know they came from a dismantling/recycling plant
where SIP (the then-monopolyst telephony provider in Italy) sent all the
old terminals.
Fabio Battaglia
2013-12-21 20:20:25 UTC
Post by Fabio Battaglia
Thanks, can't wait to complete it and start thinking about building a
proper case!
After I got the missing components, I can say that my SBC V2 is complete
and apparently working! I added the missing SRAM controller, the clock,
replaced the SRAM chip with a 512kb one and soldered the ECB connector.
I also built the backplane. I'm still missing the damn dual-color led
which should arrive on monday, hopefully.

Here are a few pictures:

Now, the plan is to start building the DiskIO V3 (I'm missing only the
FDC9266 controller chip, but already ordered one from China), make an
inventory of parts for my N8 board, and while I wait for the other
boards I ordered from Andrew, study some Z80 assembly and fiddle with my
SBC! :-)

Building these boards is so much fun, and they're a nice self-present too!

Happy holidays everyone,
Fabio
Andrew Lynch
2013-12-22 16:43:37 UTC
Hi
You can substitute the dual color LED with a pair of different color LEDs.
It depend on the configuration but for two pin dual color just put two LEDS
in parallel with opposite polarity. One will light when the current flows
one way and the other will light when the current flows the other way. If
the dual color LED is the limiting factor you shouldn't need to spend any
money to get something close working.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
Thanks, can't wait to complete it and start thinking about building a
proper case!
After I got the missing components, I can say that my SBC V2 is complete
and apparently working! I added the missing SRAM controller, the clock,
replaced the SRAM chip with a 512kb one and soldered the ECB connector.
I also built the backplane. I'm still missing the damn dual-color led
which should arrive on monday, hopefully.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45408863/pub_pic/IMG_20131221_15
1519.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45408863/pub_pic/IMG_20131221_15
4116.jpg
Fabio Battaglia
2013-12-23 07:57:09 UTC
Yep, It's a solution I considered, using two rectangular leds: but in
the end I already ordered the proper component for the job, so it's just
a matter of waiting another week and the board will be completed in the
proper way (I'm learning that building these boards is also a good
exercise in patience anyway). There's already a led on the backplane and
that will satisfy my need for colored lights for now ;-)

Bye!
Fabio
Dott. Fabio Battaglia
Fabio Battaglia
2013-12-24 09:33:10 UTC
Post by Fabio Battaglia
Now, the plan is to start building the DiskIO V3 (I'm missing only the
FDC9266 controller chip, but already ordered one from China) [...]
I built the DiskIO V3 (the only missing component is the FDC9266, which
has to pass the holidays in customs, sigh) and the IDE part works great!

My N8VEM looks better than a christmas tree now. Here is a pic!

Bye,
Fabio