[N8VEM: 17330] PPIDE
Harald Rau
2014-02-15 16:26:09 UTC
Hello,

I have finished my PPIDE. Now I will use it with my old CF-Card 128Mb! But
it doesn't work. PPIDETST.COM start with:

status = 50
Current LBA = 00000000
status = 50
I can enter the command >u< and >d< without problems. When i try >r< or >w<
the tool hangs in a deadlock.

When I will write data to the drive by command >f< the tool also hangs in a
deadlock.

Is my CF-Card to old, She is over 10 years old?

What does the STATUS = 50?

My next step is by a newer CF-CARD with IDE-Support.

Greeting Harald!
Max Scane
2014-02-15 19:43:39 UTC
Hi Harald,

STATUS= is showing you the contents of the IDE status register. 50
indicates that the DRDY (Device Ready) bit is set. This is normal.

The U (spin up) and D (spin down) commands do not apply to a compact flash
card..

The 128 MB card should work fine. I have a 32MB one that works as well.

Make sure your CF adapter is jumpered for MASTER

Regards,

Max
Harald Rau
2014-02-16 11:33:53 UTC
Hello Max,

the adapter is jumpered for MASTER. The adapter get +5V from P1 N8VEM.
Yesterday i have tested the wire from 82c55 to P1 on the Board - all O.K.!
The wire from P1 to PPIDE a have also tested. Is it possible that PIO IC
82C55 not correctly work?

Regards Harald!
Max Scane
2014-02-16 21:19:02 UTC
It sounds like the 8255 is working as it gives you the correct status.

PPIDETST is a pretty basic utility. it doesn't have any timeouts etc.

If it hangs it is probably waiting for the DRQ bit to be set. This could
be due to a few different things.

Try reading from LBA 0.

1. Enter L then 0
2. Enter R

If it comes back to the prompt then the read succeeded.

3. Enter H

This should give you a dump of the received data.

If you are still having problems, try swapping the 8255 as well as the CF
card.

Regards,

Max

Harald Rau
2014-02-17 10:30:01 UTC
Hello Max,

I've tried this workaround, here is the result!
I set the LBA to zero and enter >r<! The Tool hangs!
I enter <h>, the screen is in the attachment!

Regards, Harald!
Harald Rau
2014-02-17 10:36:40 UTC
Hello Max,

I've tried this workaround, here is the result!
I set the LBA to zero and enter >r<! The Tool hangs!

I unplug and plug the Card!!
The tool works and is waiting for entering!

Max Scane
2014-02-17 22:09:18 UTC
Hi Harald,

I suspect you have a faulty Flash card or 8255. Are you able to substitute
them with a replacement?

The H command just displays whatever is in memory at the time even if the R
command didn't work. Pulling the flash card probably causes the signals to
float making PPIDETST think there was a response.

Don't forget to check the 74LS14 on the PPIDE board also. It might be
faulty or perhaps incorrectly inserted.

Regards,

Max
Harald Rau
2014-02-21 06:28:10 UTC
Hi Max,

the new card gives the same result. I have already changed the IC 74LS14 -
nothing! I have observed, when i plug a IDE HD on PPIDE she doesn't turn
on, but the green LED at PPIDE lights up continuously! I will search the
error on the N8VEM!

Regards Harald!