[N8VEM: 15994] Announcing RomWBW v2.5...
Wayne Warthen
2013-06-23 22:13:36 UTC
RomWBW v2.5 has just been posted on the N8VEM Wiki. I would like to thank
all of the folks that provided feedback on the beta versions. I would like
to specifically thank Douglas, John, Nik, and Oscar for their help.

The primary changes in this release are:

-

Complete overhaul of the keyboard and video hardware driver interface.
Support is included for VDU, Color VDU, and N8 video hardware. VT100
terminal emulation is included for all video hardware.

-

New hardware support includes the Dual SD board, Multifunction PIC, and
Cassette Interface.

-

SD Card and Parallel Port IDE drivers were significantly refactored for
improved media compatibility and performance.

-

During bootup, new messaging has been added to allow drivers to describe
their configuration and status.

I have posted an updated version of the RomWBW Architecture document which
includes more detail on the new video services API and emulation modules.
I have excerpted a diagram from the document below.

Questions, comments, and support requests for this ROM can be addressed to:

Wayne Warthen (wwarthen-***@public.gmane.org)

Douglas Goodall (douglas_goodall-***@public.gmane.org)

David Giles (vk5dg-CkBdp7X+***@public.gmane.org)

However, I encourage the use of the N8VEM Google Group so that others may
benefit from any interaction. We will be monitoring the Google Group as
diligently as possible.

Thanks!

Wayne
Wayne Warthen
2013-06-23 22:45:02 UTC
I think I should have been more specific in crediting Douglas with the
preliminary work on the N8 video driver in this release.
Bob Devries
2013-06-24 09:49:46 UTC
Hello Wayne, Douglas, David...

I just programmed a rom for my ZETA with ZETA_std.rom.

It works, but....

I used to be able to boot from the first partition of my CF card (via the PPIDE interface), but now it tells me it's not bootable.

Not only that, when I boot from ROM, and type DIR E: I get "no files"

What's happened? Should I be building a "special" rom for my installation?

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia

I think I should have been more specific in crediting Douglas with the preliminary work on the N8 video driver in this release.

Thanks Douglas!

Wayne Warthen
2013-06-24 14:06:09 UTC
Hi Bob,

I will double check later tonight, but I suspect this happened as I cleaned
up the configs for this release. No doubt, the PPIDEENABLE variable on
config_zeta_std.asm is set to FALSE. I suspect I did this because the
"standard" config is meant to assume no add-on hardware. In the past, I
may have had it enabled unintentionally.

If you are comfortable doing a custom build, just go into
config_zeta_std.asm, change PPIDEENABLE to TRUE and build a custom ROM.
the resulting ROM should recognize your CF card just fine.

I will think about adding a pre-built ROM for the zeta + ppide scenario.
Would be really easy to do, just a matter of how many pre-built ROM images
to include in the distribution.

One final note. Once you can boot directly from the ROM and "see" the CF
card via a DIR E:, you will want to use SYSGEN to update the system area of
E: to boot driectly from E:. This will ensure that that the latest CBIOS
interface is on E: and could avoid incompatibilities with the new ROM
drivers.

As I write this, I am thinking that maybe I should start distributing "ROM
image" packs as separate .zip files. That would allow me to distribute a
far larger number of combinations without ballooning the size of the main
distribution too much. If anyone has favorite combinations of hardware
that are not covered by the current pre-built ROMs, let me know.

Thanks!

Wayne
Bob Devries
2013-06-24 21:00:24 UTC
Hi Wayne,

The ZETA seems to be accessing the CF card, but somehow the data is corrupted, as if the read routine is not starting at the correct byte.

I'll do more checking and provide an update later.

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia

Bob Devries
2013-06-24 21:33:13 UTC
Hello again, Wayne.

I put the previous version ROM back into the ZETA, and it works fine, so the
hardware is good. It's version 2.1.1 (bootloader), CBIOS 2.0 ,....., FLOPPY
(AUTOSIZE), PPIDE (STD)

The Version 2.5 ROM gives this screen on startup:

============================

RomWBW...

ZETA Z80 @ 20MHz ROM=512KB RAM=512KB
UART0: IO=0x68 16550A BAUD=38400 FIFO
MD: UNITS=2 ROMDISK=448KB RAMDISK=416KB
FD: IO=0x36 UNITS=2
PPIDE: IO=0x60 UNITS=2

N8VEM HBIOS v2.5, Build 16, 23-Jun-2013

A=RAM B=ROM C=FD0 D=FD1 E=PPIDE0-00 F=PPIDE0-01 G=PPIDE0-02 H=PPIDE0-03
Boot: (M)onitor, (R)OM, or Drive Letter ===>

==============================
Only the "R" key will allow me to boot into CP/M. Even though
(theoretically) R==B, pressing B returns Disk not bootable.
==============================
N8VEM HBIOS v2.5, Build 16, 23-Jun-2013

A=RAM B=ROM C=FD0 D=FD1 E=PPIDE0-00 F=PPIDE0-01 G=PPIDE0-02 H=PPIDE0-03
Boot: (M)onitor, (R)OM, or Drive Letter ===> BOOT FROM DISK <--- I
pressed B here.

Reading disk information...
Disk not bootable!
A=RAM B=ROM C=FD0 D=FD1 E=PPIDE0-00 F=PPIDE0-01 G=PPIDE0-02 H=PPIDE0-03
Boot: (M)onitor, (R)OM, or Drive Letter ===> BOOT FROM ROM <--- I pressed
R here.

CP/M-80 2.2 for ZETA Z80, CBIOS v2.5

A0>

=======================

Hope that helps?

The only (other) difference is that the default ROM build assumes a 20MHz
clock, but mine is 8MHz.
Would that affect the operation?

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia

Wayne Warthen
2013-06-24 21:45:22 UTC
Hi Bob,

Actually, 'B' is not intended to work because that is for a "disk boot",
but B is a ROM drive in this case and has no system tracks (I realize this
is confusing, sorry). To boot from a ROM drive, you must press 'R'. In
your case, pressing 'R' is working as intended, so that is good.

The boot messages indicate that PPIDE support is available in your ROM
build, also good.

I assume you are still having a problem with accessing E: after booting to
ROM, right? In other words, after booting with 'R' option, you cannot get
a directory from E:, right?

I'm sorry I cannot be more help right now. I need to get home and try your
specific scenario. It will be a few hours before I can do that.

Thanks,

Wayne
Bob Devries
2013-06-24 22:03:50 UTC
Hi Wayne,

Yes, you're right in all those assumptions :)
If I type DIR E:, I get "no files"

I can use PPIDETST, and it reads sectors apparently correctly.

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia

Bob Devries
2013-06-25 00:13:20 UTC
Wayne,
I guess I need to ask: What has changed in the PPIDE file system to make an old version unreadable?

Is there some documentation where I can look up what the sector contents should be?

I have imaged the CF to my PC, which will allow me to use a hex editor (HxD) to examine the file system.

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia
Wayne Warthen
2013-06-25 00:17:19 UTC
Hi Bob,

There were not any changes to the file system layout between 2.1.1 and
2.5. I have been able to use CF cards interchangeably between the two
versions.

--Wayne
**
Wayne Warthen
2013-06-25 04:43:11 UTC
Hi Bob,

OK, well, I am definitely having a problem with my Zeta w/ PPIDE. The
problem I am seeing is clearly communication errors with the SD Card. This
is surprising because I tested the new PPIDE driver using the DISKIO V3 and
the SCSI2IDE board with no trouble and they have identical circuits. I am
perplexed at the moment. It may take me some time to track this down.

Sorry about this. The number of hardware combinations is now pretty
incredible, so I sample things the best I can.

Thanks,

Wayne
Post by Wayne Warthen
Hi Bob,
There were not any changes to the file system layout between 2.1.1 and
2.5. I have been able to use CF cards interchangeably between the two
versions.
--Wayne
**
Wayne Warthen
2013-06-26 00:10:21 UTC
I have uploaded v2.5.1 to the Wiki and the corresponding source code to the
Subversion repository.

I was definitely able to recreate a significant problem scenario that
matched your issues Bob. It was very confusing because the issue only
occurred on some hardware platforms. Basically, a sensitivity to the way I
was manipulating the IDE signals. I have corrected this and it definitely
corrected the problems I was seeing.

--Wayne
Post by Wayne Warthen
Hi Bob,
There were not any changes to the file system layout between 2.1.1 and
2.5. I have been able to use CF cards interchangeably between the two
versions.
--Wayne
**
oscarv
2013-06-29 19:23:20 UTC
Wayne,

I just ran 2.5.1 on my N8VEM v1 with PPIDE. Runs fine (this is
N8VEM_PPIDE.COM).

However, at the risk of asking something dumb -- is it correct that just
SYSGENning the N8vem_ppide.sys to c: will not work? I.e.,

- Booting from the 2.1.1 ROM,
- then selecting 'c' to boot the new 2.5.1

Gives me a fatal error error. I suppose that I also need to upgrade the ROM
for that, as the old 2.1.1 ROM drivers clash with the 2.5.1 boot code,
right?

Regards,

Oscar.
Wayne Warthen
2013-06-29 19:46:21 UTC
Hi Oscar,

Yes, you will need to upgrade the ROM to for a disk boot to work. The banked ROM implementation is too large to fit on the system tracks of a disk.

Thanks,

Wayne