[N8VEM: 17314] Need an ARM SBC
Aakash Rajasekaran
2014-02-11 11:32:27 UTC
Hey guys,

I'm trying to build an ARM Single board computer. I donno where and how to
start with !! Could you guys please help me out?

My requirement for the SBC is that it must run linux on it !! Help me out
guys !!
Joachim Gaßler
2014-02-11 15:18:59 UTC
Post by Aakash Rajasekaran
Hey guys,
I'm trying to build an ARM Single board computer. I donno where and
how to start with !! Could you guys please help me out?
My requirement for the SBC is that it must run linux on it !! Help me
out guys !!
HTH:

http://hackaday.com/2012/08/13/the-coming-age-of-arm-chips-for-the-hobbyist/

Using homebrew techniques (THT, double layer, hand soldering, fmax < 50
MHz) restricts Linux SBCs to very poor performance. If you need more
power, a ready-to-use device like the Raspberry Pi is the better choice,
maybe.

If you still want do build your own SBC, you have to consider:
* Which features are necessary (system architecture, performance,
peripherials, software requirements)
* Of which components is your system to be built?
* How is low level software development accomplished? Is a toolchain
available for software implementation?
* Will all of that fit into your budget *and* into your schedule?
After struggling through these questions, you can start to scribble a
design, create a schematic, design a PCB layout and re-check all of them
against each other over and over. Some design circles later, you find it
sufficient and start ordering parts and a PCB and build your first
homebrew SBC.

Meanwhile you have your low level system software designed and wait
eagerly to debug your brand new self-built hardware and your firmware as
well. As soon as your system runs stable, you can customize the OS of
your choice to support the hardware.

Joe