[N8VEM: 16452] N8VEM in Germany's C't Hardware Hacks Magazin
oscarv
2013-11-02 23:29:24 UTC
All,

Just to let you know that C't Hardware Hacks (the hardware quarterly of the
venerable C't Magazin) published a 13-page double feature on the N8VEM SBC.

C't editor Daniel Bachfeld really wrote a fantastic piece... Well worth
reading if you speak German. *Link to magazine*<http://shop.heise.de/katalog/ct-hacks-4-2013>.

Many thanks also go to Hauke, from the group here, for translation and
proofreading/editing.

Next to having nice N8VEM publicity, it's also great to see that C't has
preserved their quality of content in a time where, let's face it, most
computer magazines have dumbed down to become consumer magazines...

Regards,

Oscar.
Werner S
2013-11-17 18:53:24 UTC
The "C't Hardware Hacks" double feature is what brought me here. Great stuff!

Unfortunately Andrew's E-Mail-address is misprinted on page 99 (***@... instead of ***@...).
oscarv
2013-11-18 13:33:29 UTC
Werner,
Urgh...The printer's devil... I'll check with C't, maybe it's good to put a
note in their forum.

Thanks!

Oscar.
Harald Rau
2013-11-22 15:52:32 UTC
Hello,

The article in the C't Hacks is accompanied by a partlist. So you can find
the part in the Jameco-shop. For the pio8255 is the reference 52417, but
underneath you will find a PIO 82C55A! It is no matter which one I plug on
the board?

Greetings Harald!
Post by oscarv
Werner,
Jim Strickland
2013-12-14 04:49:26 UTC
I believe the only spec on the 8255 that matters is speed. Faster CPUs want faster 8255s, or more waitstates when the 8255 is used. I think. I'm a newbie with a Zeta. There may be differences I do not yet understand.

-JRS
Andrew Lynch
2013-12-23 00:33:36 UTC
HI! I don't think it matters but using a faster 82C55 will enable the CPU
to go faster.

It seems the PPI is a limiting factor in some IO operations like PPIDE etc.

At the default CPU speed (4MHz) the 82C55A should work fine though.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Harald Rau
2013-11-18 16:35:40 UTC
Hello,

I have subscribed to the magazine. There are great articles for technology
freaks! I also want to build me a Z80 machine. Thank you for a great articleto
Oscar Vermeulen and Hauke Fath!

Greetings Harald!