[N8VEM: 16806] N8VEM Debug Monitor Command questions
Werner S
2013-12-19 17:29:25 UTC
Good evening, guys!

Exploring the software side of the N8VEM, I have questions regarding the
debug monitor.

See attached image for debug monitor commands.

- The commands that I understand are marked with green.
- The (three) commands I don't understand are yellow.

Does anyone know how "e", "h" and "k" actually work?

Where can I download the source code for the (default) N8VEM debug monitor
programmed by Andrew?

Thank you,

Werner
Wayne Warthen
2013-12-20 22:03:36 UTC
Hi Werner,

In general, the debug monitor source code is found in the ROM source
distributions on the Wiki. Unfortunately, I am not clear on the exact ROM
version that Andrew is sending out at this point. You can refer to the Z80
SBC ROM Images<http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/39928827/Z80%20SBC%20ROM%20Images>page as a starting point to locate various ROM versions. The distribution
files for each ROM version should include the related source code.

Offhand, I don't know exactly how the E, H, and K commands work. I have
definitely found ROM images where some debug monitor commands were broken,
but I think it depended on the specific ROM.

Thanks,

Wayne
Max Scane
2013-12-20 22:17:05 UTC
From the source..
;done ; C BOOT CP/M FROM ROM DRIVE
;done ; D XXXXH YYYYH DUMP MEMORY FROM XXXX TO YYYY
;done ; E XXXXH EXAMINE MEMORY LOC XXXX
;done ; F XXXXH YYYYH ZZH FILL MEMORY FROM XXXX TO YYYY WITH ZZ
;done ; H LOAD INTEL HEX FORMAT DATA
;done ; I INPUT FROM PORT AND SHOW HEX DATA
;done ; K ECHO KEYBOARD INPUT
;done ; M XXXXH YYYYH ZZZZH MOVE MEMORY BLOCK XXXX TO YYYY TO ZZZZ
;done ; O OUTPUT TO PORT HEX DATA
;done ; P PROGRAM RAM STARTING FROM CURRENT LOCATION
;done ; R RUN A PROGRAM FROM CURRENT LOCATION
;done ; 'ESCAPE' STOP CURRENT MODE AND WAIT FOR NEW COMMAND

Cheers!

Max
Werner S
2013-12-21 14:26:50 UTC
Thanks. I found out how "my" debug monitor works. See updated image.