[N8VEM: 16472] Stupid N8 Home Computer questions
Richard Cini
2013-11-11 04:51:53 UTC
All ‹

I just finished building the HC today (I had some free time this long
weekend) and I¹m having some issues with getting it running (basics are OK ­
no solder bridges, voltage OK, etc.). But first, a question on the ROM.
What¹s the difference between the 2312 and 2511 ROM builds? My board has
³HOME COMPUTER VER 1² on it but no other designation that I see. I¹m using a
27C040 ROM which I think should work fine.

Second, does a floppy drive have to be connected for testing or can I boot
to the ROM drive without it (meaning, will system hang without the floppy
connected)?

Thanks!

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers
Max Scane
2013-11-11 05:21:26 UTC
Hi Rich,

I don't think there were any differences between the boards from a
programming point of view. The progression was mainly to fix hardware bugs.

You shouldn't need a floppy drive (or chip) installed to boot the rom
drive. Just ensure you have the correct jumpers for your ROM.

Which ROM distribution are you using? The N8 is different from the SBC
(Z180,ASCI, MMU etc) so you will need a specific ROM image.

Cheers!

Max
Post by Richard Cini
All —
I just finished building the HC today (I had some free time this long
weekend) and I’m having some issues with getting it running (basics are OK
– no solder bridges, voltage OK, etc.). But first, a question on the ROM.
What’s the difference between the 2312 and 2511 ROM builds? My board has
“HOME COMPUTER VER 1” on it but no other designation that I see. I’m using
Richard Cini
2013-11-11 13:53:07 UTC
Max ‹

Thanks. I¹m using one of the pre-built N8 ROM images from the RomWBW
archive. I¹ve tried both 2312 and 2511 ³CP/M² ROMs and I don¹t get any
serial output. I believe I have the jumpers set properly based on the
³N8-2312 finished² picture posted on the Wiki (with the exception of the ROM
jumpers).

Rich

Wayne Warthen
2013-11-11 19:49:41 UTC
The only difference between the 2312 and 2511 builds is that the later
version of the board (2312) uses the Z80 CSIO for the SD Card interface.
Either build should be fine for initial testing and booting to a ROM copy
of CP/M.

Thanks,

Wayne
Max —
Thanks. I’m using one of the pre-built N8 ROM images from the RomWBW
archive. I’ve tried both 2312 and 2511 “CP/M” ROMs and I don’t get any
serial output. I believe I have the jumpers set properly based on the
“N8-2312 finished” picture posted on the Wiki (with the exception of the
ROM jumpers).
Rich
Max Scane
2013-11-11 21:04:37 UTC
Also unlike the SBC, the N8 uses the Z180 ASCI for the serial port. The baud rate of this port is dependant on the CPU clock frequency. Make sure you are using the correct speed for the rom image you are using.

Some people have also had trouble with the serial port cabling. I use a short 1:1 cable from the 10 pin header to a DE9(M) connector then a standard PC null modem cable (F-F) to the PC.

Hope this helps.

Max

Sent from my iPhone
The only difference between the 2312 and 2511 builds is that the later version of the board (2312) uses the Z80 CSIO for the SD Card interface. Either build should be fine for initial testing and booting to a ROM copy of CP/M.
Thanks,
Wayne
Max —
Thanks. I’m using one of the pre-built N8 ROM images from the RomWBW archive. I’ve tried both 2312 and 2511 “CP/M” ROMs and I don’t get any serial output. I believe I have the jumpers set properly based on the “N8-2312 finished” picture posted on the Wiki (with the exception of the ROM jumpers).
Rich
Date: Monday, November 11, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Hi Rich,
I don't think there were any differences between the boards from a programming point of view. The progression was mainly to fix hardware bugs.
You shouldn't need a floppy drive (or chip) installed to boot the rom drive. Just ensure you have the correct jumpers for your ROM.
Which ROM distribution are you using? The N8 is different from the SBC (Z180,ASCI, MMU etc) so you will need a specific ROM image.
Cheers!
Max
All —
I just finished building the HC today (I had some free time this long weekend) and I’m having some issues with getting it running (basics are OK – no solder bridges, voltage OK, etc.). But first, a question on the ROM. What’s the difference between the 2312 and 2511 ROM builds? My board has “HOME COMPUTER VER 1” on it but no other designation that I see. I’m using a 27C040 ROM which I think should work fine.
Richard Cini
2013-11-11 21:35:27 UTC
Thanks Max. I do have the port set for 38.4k, am using 1:1 cable. I¹ll give
the null a try though.

Can you tell me how you have your jumpers set? I did it based on the picture
but I wanted to double check against a known-working setup.

Thanks!

Rich

Richard Cini
2013-11-11 22:05:04 UTC
As a quick follow-up, the RUN/HALT LED does in fact change from red to green
so something is working. I¹ve tried various serial combinations with and
without a NULL adapter but nothing so far.

Rich