[N8VEM: 18916] Re: 8" floppies on a Zeta?
roman fulek
2014-11-04 14:33:46 UTC
Hi all, as Wayne correctly pointed out this never ends :-) Now I am a prod
owner of YD-180 8" drive too. I read all posts but can only reiterate on
Sergey:

What type of converter / cable are you using? Does it need the head
load signal? It would be useful to document it somewhere (Wiki?!) so
others can do it too without digging in the mailing list.

Please can someone provide more detail on connecting 8" drive to Zeta? (and
other boards too)
G. Beat
2014-11-05 22:00:57 UTC
Almost wish I had the old IBM Display Writer (System 6580) toaster box (held two 8" floppy drives).
The System 36, 38, and AS/400 systems was also a good point (forgot about those).

gb
Jim Harre
2014-11-06 05:07:32 UTC
Roman -

Back near the top of this thread (geeez, this is, like, 2 1/2 years old
already!) I mentioned where I found the cable pinout:
http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/34_to_50.txt I just tested the
link and it was still live this evening.

I used a 34 position ribbon cable and a 50 pin card-edge connector to the
drive. At the floppy end I split out the ribbon cable and hand pressed the
ribbon wires to the 50 pin connector. Kind of tedious and it needed to be
double checked, but it worked.

I've been moving things around and haven't had my Zeta out for a while. If
I can find the beast, I'll post a picture of the cable ends. Don't think
I've sold all the 50 pin card edge connectors I bought, so if you need a
couple, PM me and I'll look for those too.

<*> Jim
roman fulek

Jim Harre
2014-11-08 05:00:51 UTC
Here's a picture of my cable. Kind of ugly, but it does the job. Pin 2 is
straight through from the header to the drive. I seem to remember somebody
telling me that it probably didn't matter.
roman fulek
2014-11-08 09:29:37 UTC
Thanks!
<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-g5n8xp6ADlE/VF2jPjC4raI/AAAAAAAAAA8/BUoZgvhgSqk/s1600/Zeta8inch.jpg>