[N8VEM: 19002] New to SBCs
Rocky McCleary
2014-12-03 03:42:20 UTC
I am new to SBCs, and would like to get into making them. Problem is, I have no idea what chips I would need, nor where to buy boards. Any help?

Many thanks,
Rocky McCleary
Sergey
2014-12-03 18:45:19 UTC
It depends on what kind of SBC you want to build, and what you want to do
with that.

The list of available PCBs is posted here:
http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/35044530/PCB%20Inventory
You will also find the list of available projects on the Wiki, normally
along with documentation, including the bill of materials.

To give you some ideas about available SBCs:
1. N8VEM SBC V2 - possibly the most popular and the best supported SBC. It
is Zilog Z80 based. It has SRAM, EPROM/Flash, UART and a Parallel port on
board. It also features ECB interface, so that you can extend it using EBC
backplane and additional ECB boards (Disk I/O board for example). You will
need some kind of terminal to work with this board (normally a terminal
emulator software running on your PC), and cable or even USB to serial
converter to connect the SBC to the terminal/PC.
2. Zeta SBC - Similar and software compatible with N8VEM SBC, but designed
to be a standalone system. Compared to N8VEM SBC V2 it does include floppy
disk controller on board. It pairs with ParPortProp board, which provides a
terminal functionality using a standard VGA display and a PS/2 keyboard, as
well as SD-card interface for storage.
3. N8VEM SBC-188 - Intel 80188 based SBC. It can run some MS-DOS
applications, but not 100% PC compatible. It includes an FDC, it can be
also extended using ECB cards.
4. Various S100 boards. This is probably for more experienced people.
5. Home Computer board. I'd say it is also for more experienced people.
6. Xi 8088. An IBM PC/XT compatible board. Not exactly an SBC, as it
requires more components to work (display card, disk controller, and so
on). Not for beginners either.
2014-12-03 20:29:55 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>
I would like to mention two additional CPU boards:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 7.&nbsp; The Mini-68K, based on the 8-bit bus version of the Motorola
68000.&nbsp; However, this is a two board system, and requires a
backplane.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 8.&nbsp; The Z180 Mark IV board, an expansion of the Z80 system.&nbsp; One
board has an IDE interface for CF cards, an SD card socket,&nbsp; and the
usual serial I/O connection to a terminal.&nbsp; Like the SBC v2, it runs
CP/M from ROM or a boot device.<br>
--John<br>
On 12/03/2014 10:45 AM, Sergey wrote:
cite="mid:1c6bd937-4016-44cb-a807-***@googlegroups.com"
type="cite">
and what you want to do with that.<br>
The list of available PCBs is posted here:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/35044530/PCB%20Inventory">http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/35044530/PCB%20Inventory</a><br>
You will also find the list of available projects on the Wiki,
normally along with documentation, including the bill of
materials. <br>
To give you some ideas about available SBCs:<br>
1. N8VEM SBC V2 - possibly the most popular and the best
supported SBC. It is Zilog Z80 based. It has SRAM, EPROM/Flash,
UART and a Parallel port on board. It also features ECB
interface, so that you can extend it using EBC backplane and
additional ECB boards (Disk I/O board for example). You will
need some kind of terminal to work with this board (normally a
terminal emulator software running on your PC), and cable or
even USB to serial converter to connect the SBC to the
terminal/PC.<br>
2. Zeta SBC - Similar and software compatible with N8VEM SBC,
but designed to be a standalone system. Compared to N8VEM SBC V2
it does include floppy disk controller on board. It pairs with
ParPortProp board, which provides a terminal functionality using
a standard VGA display and a PS/2 keyboard, as well as SD-card
interface for storage.<br>
3. N8VEM SBC-188 - Intel 80188 based SBC. It can run some MS-DOS
applications, but not 100% PC compatible. It includes an FDC, it
can be also extended using ECB cards.<br>
4. Various S100 boards. This is probably for more experienced
people. <br>
5. Home Computer board. I'd say it is also for more experienced
people.<br>
6. Xi 8088. An IBM PC/XT compatible board. Not exactly an SBC,
as it requires more components to work (display card, disk
controller, and so on). Not for beginners either.<br>
On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 7:42:20 PM UTC-8, Rocky McCleary
wrote:
0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left: 1ex;">I am new to SBCs, and would like to get
into making them. Problem is, I have no idea what chips I
would need, nor where to buy boards. Any help?
Many thanks,
Rocky McCleary</blockquote>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />