[N8VEM: 19578] Mark IV Testing - Garbled Serial port
Kip Koon
2015-05-07 07:45:02 UTC
Hi John, Will, etc.

I'm testing my Mark IV and all I get is garbled data. I can't find any
documentation as to what all the jumpers should be set to. Am I missing a
document somewhere. Tests 1-3 are good. Test 4 gives me all garbled test.
The only jumpers on the board are the three on the I/O Address.

P1 - no jumper

P2 - no jumper

P9 - no jumper

P11 - no pumper

P12 - no jumper

What do these jumpers mean?

Can I use the early picture for these jumpers?

I am so close to getting this thing to come alive that I can almost taste
it! Please help! I want to join the ranks of those who have their Mark IVs
online! Thank you in advance for your help.

Kip Koon

<mailto:***@sc.rr.com> ***@sc.rr.com

<http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon>
Max Scane
2015-05-07 08:19:16 UTC
Hi Kip,

To quote an earlier message from John:

The P10 jumper setting has been changed for the ECB Z180 Mark IV cpu board.

The old setting was 0xD0 (off, off, on, off); this was used for all of the
initial testing.

The setting used by both RomWBW and UNA BIOS is now 0x80 (off, on, on,
on). The change was prompted by using a device code for the on-board
peripherals which overlays the devices codes of the N8 boards. This new
setting should avoid all conflicts with all of the existing ECB N8VEM
boards.

Old setting: 0xD0..0xDF (off, off, on, off)
New setting: 0x80..0x8F (off, on, on, on)

If you have the board longways with the ECB connection on the right and the
block of four jumpers on the top

They would be out,in,in,in

Also note that UNA BIOS requires the appropriate jumpers at J4 for your SD
Socket.

Cheers!

Max
Kip Koon
2015-05-07 08:22:03 UTC
Hi Max,

I have the 4 jumpers at the top of the board – off, on, on, on. Still garbled?!?

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

Max Scane
2015-05-07 08:31:01 UTC
What Baud rate are you using? I think UNA uses 9600 or 19200.

Maybe try both?

Cheers!

Max
Post by Kip Koon
Hi Max,
I have the 4 jumpers at the top of the board – off, on, on, on. Still garbled?!?
Kip Koon
Of *Max Scane
Kip Koon
2015-05-07 08:32:49 UTC
Hi Max,

I’ve tried both, but I’ll try again.

Kip Koon

***@sc.rr.com

Max Scane
2015-05-07 08:46:22 UTC
A couple of thing to also check:

What type of ROM are you using? Flash or EPROM. They need the correct
Jumpers:

This is from the schematic

[image: Inline image 1]
Make sure the FlashROM/EPROM is programmed correctly as well.

Cheers!
2015-05-07 12:49:53 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Kip,<br>
Are you using one of the specified oscillator frequencies for
testing:&nbsp; 9.216Mhz or 18.432Mhz.&nbsp; No other values will work.&nbsp; The
resulting serial bit rates will be 4800 or 9600.<br>
The 0README.TXT file from the zip file with the binary ROM image of
the tests goes through each test one-by-one.<br>
It sounds like you are getting to TEST 4, and that it is failing.&nbsp;
Are you using the correct oscillator?&nbsp; Is you terminal set to the
correct baud rate?<br>
What processor level did TEST 2 detect?&nbsp; (1, 2, or 3 flashes?)<br>
--John<br>
On 05/07/2015 01:32 AM, Kip Koon wrote:
type="cite">
charset=ISO-8859-1">
medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:Calibri;
panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Tahoma;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;}
{mso-style-priority:99;
mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
margin-right:0in;
mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
margin-left:0in;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
{mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:8.0pt;
font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle18
{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D;}
span.BalloonTextChar
{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);">Hi Max, <o:p></o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);">I&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;ve tried both, but I&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;ll try again.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);">Kip Koon<o:p></o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);"><a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@sc.rr.com">***@sc.rr.com</a><o:p></o:p></span></p>
href="http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon">http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon</a><o:p></o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color: rgb(31,
73, 125);"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
border-style: none none none solid; border-color:
-moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color
blue; padding: 0in 0in 0in 4pt;">
medium medium; border-style: solid none none;
border-color: rgb(181, 196, 223) -moz-use-text-color
-moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in 0in;">
font-family:
&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">From:</span></b><span
style="font-size: 10pt; font-family:
&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a> [<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">mailto:***@googlegroups.com</a>]
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [N8VEM: 19582] Mark IV Testing -
Garbled Serial port<o:p></o:p></span></p>
think&nbsp;UNA uses 9600 or 19200.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
Koon &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@sc.rr.com" target="_blank">***@sc.rr.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
11pt; font-family:
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color:
rgb(31, 73, 125);">Hi Max,</span><o:p></o:p></p>
11pt; font-family:
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color:
rgb(31, 73, 125);">I have the 4 jumpers at the top
of the board &acirc;&#8364;&#8220; off, on, on, on.&nbsp; Still
garbled?!?</span><o:p></o:p></p>
11pt; font-family:
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color:
rgb(31, 73, 125);">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color:
rgb(31, 73, 125);">Kip Koon</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color:
rgb(31, 73, 125);"><a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@sc.rr.com"
target="_blank">***@sc.rr.com</a></span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color:
rgb(31, 73, 125);"><a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon"
target="_blank">http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon</a></span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-family:
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color:
rgb(31, 73, 125);">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
11pt; font-family:
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;; color:
rgb(31, 73, 125);">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
border-style: none none none solid; border-color:
-moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color
-moz-use-text-color blue; padding: 0in 0in 0in 4pt;">
border-width: 1pt medium medium; border-style:
solid none none; border-color: rgb(181, 196,
223) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color;
padding: 3pt 0in 0in;">
style="font-size: 10pt; font-family:
&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">From:</span></b><span
style="font-size: 10pt; font-family:
&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;">
<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>
[mailto:<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>]
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [N8VEM: 19580] Mark IV
Testing - Garbled Serial port</span><o:p></o:p></p>
earlier message from John:<o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size: 9.5pt;">The P10&nbsp;<span
style="background: none repeat scroll
0% 0% white;">jumper</span>&nbsp;setting
has been changed for the ECB Z180 Mark
IV cpu board.<br>
The old setting was 0xD0 (off, off, on,
off); this was used for all of the
initial testing.<br>
The setting used by both RomWBW and&nbsp;<span
style="background: none repeat scroll
0% 0% white;">UNA</span>&nbsp;<span
style="background: none repeat scroll
0% 0% white;">BIOS</span>&nbsp;is now 0x80
(off, on, on, on).&nbsp; The change was
prompted by using a device code for the
on-board peripherals which overlays the
devices codes of the N8 boards.&nbsp; This
new setting should avoid all conflicts
with all of the existing ECB N8VEM
boards.<br>
================================================<br>
Old setting:&nbsp; 0xD0..0xDF&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (off, off,
on, off)<br>
New setting:&nbsp; 0x80..0x8F&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (off, on,
on, on)</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size: 9.5pt;">If you have
the board longways with the
ECB&nbsp;connection&nbsp;on the right and the
block of four&nbsp;jumpers on the top</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size: 9.5pt;">They would be
out,in,in,in</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size: 9.5pt;">Also note that
UNA BIOS&nbsp;requires&nbsp;the appropriate
jumpers at J4 for your SD Socket.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size: 9.5pt;">Cheers!</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size: 9.5pt;">Max</span><o:p></o:p></p>
2015 at 5:45 PM, Kip Koon &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@sc.rr.com"
target="_blank">***@sc.rr.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
Will, etc.<o:p></o:p></p>
testing my Mark IV and all I get is
garbled data.&nbsp; I can&acirc;&#8364;&#8482;t find any
documentation as to what all the
jumpers should be set to.&nbsp; Am I
missing a document somewhere.&nbsp; Tests
1-3 are good.&nbsp; Test 4 gives me all
garbled test.&nbsp; The only jumpers on the
board are the three on the I/O
Address.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></p>
jumper<o:p></o:p></p>
jumper<o:p></o:p></p>
jumper<o:p></o:p></p>
pumper<o:p></o:p></p>
jumper<o:p></o:p></p>
these jumpers mean?<o:p></o:p></p>
the early picture for these jumpers?<o:p></o:p></p>
close to getting this thing to come
alive that I can almost taste it!&nbsp;
Please help!&nbsp; I want to join the ranks
of those who have their Mark IVs
online!&nbsp; Thank you in advance for your
help.<o:p></o:p></p>
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@sc.rr.com"
target="_blank">***@sc.rr.com</a><o:p></o:p></p>
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon"
target="_blank">http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon</a><o:p></o:p></p>
style="color: rgb(136, 136, 136);">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="color: rgb(136, 136, 136);">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="color: rgb(136, 136, 136);">-- <br>
You received this message because you
are subscribed to the Google Groups
"N8VEM" group.<br>
To unsubscribe from this group and stop
receiving emails from it, send an email
to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com"
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem"
target="_blank">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout"
target="_blank">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
target="_blank">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<o:p></o:p></p>
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<o:p></o:p></p>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />