[N8VEM: 17141] Problem with terminal emulator
Harald Rau
2014-01-15 10:45:36 UTC
My N8VEM V2 with RomWBW works with HyperTerminal on WinMe perfect.

But my main system is ubuntu 12:04. I tried it with many terminal emulations
. I always get signs salad. does anyone have access to a linux terminal on
the N8VEM? I have also tested old DOS-Terminal-Emulatoren with the software
"dosbox" under LINUX, the same result!

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Greetings Harald!
Fabio Battaglia
2014-01-15 11:07:19 UTC
Hello,
I regularly use minicom under Ubuntu Linux to access my SBC V2.
Of course you need to properly configure the emulator: with minicom you
press CTRL-A first, and then O: this should give you a menu with an entry
for the serial port configuration (should be somethign like "serial port
setup").
I'm away from home now and can't be more detailed, but first check that the
device is correct, then check the other parameters. If i remember
correctly, for RomWBW i use 38400 8n1 and no flow control, but I can't
check right now.

If you aren't able to solve this, I'll post some screenshots and more
detailed instruction in the late evening (Italian time).

Good luck!
Fabio
Harald Rau

Borut
2014-01-15 19:20:43 UTC
Harald,

You can use minicom -s to start it in setup mode, so it won't exit on error.
Don't forget that under linux not everybody has permission to use serial
ports.
Under ubuntu you will either have to use sudo to start minicom or better
yet,
assign your user to the group that owns serial port.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/58119/changing-permissions-on-serial-port/146523#146523
might help and there are other sites if you use google.

Cheers,

Bo/
Harald Rau

Harald Rau
2014-01-15 19:31:27 UTC
Hello Fabio,

i have test two way's!

one way: i use picocom with many parameters. The result can you see in the
screen shot - sign salad

another way: I use gtkterm, this is for testing the serial port, the same
result. But i have one observation in the status bar. The sign for DSR
blinked, is that normal? You can see it in the screen shot.

Now i think my old DELL INSPIRON 500m has a damaged serial port? Next step
i will test with my newest PC.

Gratings Harald!
Harald Rau
2014-01-16 17:03:27 UTC
Hello,

I had success with the new pc. The terminal work perfect. I think the
kernel from Ubuntu 12.04 supported not my 12 years old DELL INSPIRON!

Thank you for your Help!

Harald!
Borut
2014-01-17 09:35:37 UTC
HI Harald,

You might try with a cheap USB to serial adapter. Both FTDI and Prolific
PL2303 work with Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04 and 12.10.
Just be careful to use /dev/ttyUSB0 or whatever the name the device gets
(ls /dev/ttyUSB* before).
FTDI is a better implementation and can generate breaks. For general
serial connection to
N8VEM boards that shouldn't be an issue and Prolific adapters literally
cost a few euros.

Bo/
Anders Carlsson
2014-01-17 09:46:32 UTC
Both FTDI and Prolific PL2303 work with Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04 and 12.10.
While I can't speak for Ubuntu, I found that HL-340 (on Windows at least)
works equally well or better than PL-2303. Everyone's milage may vary and
perhaps the 2303 I bought was a dud, but as those two are in the same price
range, it might as well be mentioned.

I never got a FTDI adapter, but as you write for general use either of the
cheaper USB to RS232 adapters probably will work. A bit strange though that
the Dell Inspiron would have incompatible serial port(s) when it comes to
Ubuntu, unless some chip on the motherboard is damaged. Since Harald got it
to work with Windows Me (dual booting same PC, I suppose), I'd rule out
hardware failure unless Windows has a way to overcome hardware problems. :-)

Best regards

Anders Carlsson
Harald Rau
2014-01-17 13:44:11 UTC
Hello Anders,

i work not with Dual-Boot. I have two old Notebooks, DELL INSPIRON 500n
(Ubuntu 12.04) and ACER Travelmate (WinME). DELL has some specially
technology on the Board. An example is the 56K *Soft Modem,* it does not
supported by linux.

All the same, i work with my newer machines. They has no problems!

Best regards , Harald!