[N8VEM: 16647] Z180 SBC Mark IV boards arrived
John Coffman
2013-12-10 03:53:40 UTC
To All,

The first boards for the Z180 based SBC Mark IV
<http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/70934729/ECB%20SCB%20Mark%20IV%20--%20Z180%20based>
arrived late Monday. Shakedown of these boards commences as of now.
With the high integration of the Z180, many functions are moved onto the
CPU chip. This allows interfaces for CF cards and an SD card to be on
the board. Truly a "Single Board Computer."

I have ten of these boards that are not already spoken for.

The Z180 SBC Mark IV's are 4-layer boards, 100mm x 160mm, same size as
other N8VEM ECB boards. Because of the 4-layer design, they cost $25
plus shipping: $3 in the U.S., $10 internationally. Delivery insurance
is at the buyer's option. Paypal to the e-mail address in this posting
is the preferred form of payment.

--John Coffman
<johninsd-***@public.gmane.org>
2013-12-10 16:30:59 UTC
John -- this looks like a pretty cool board. Is it alpha or beta (I the context of the N8VEM world) right now? I'd be willing to do a shakedown build, but can't devote more than a few hours a week to debugging. Should I wait for revision 2?
John Coffman
2013-12-10 20:41:05 UTC
Bill,

These boards are definitely -alpha- test, AKA prototypes. We hope there
will be a minimum number of circuit problems uncovered by the first
group of testers.

If you time is limited, waiting for the second production round would be
prudent.

--John
Wolfgang Kabatzke
2013-12-10 19:17:43 UTC
Post by John Coffman
To All,
The first boards for the Z180 based SBC Mark IV
<http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/70934729/ECB%20SCB%20Mark%20IV%20--%20Z180%20based>
arrived late Monday. Shakedown of these boards commences as of now.
With the high integration of the Z180, many functions are moved onto the
CPU chip. This allows interfaces for CF cards and an SD card to be on
the board. Truly a "Single Board Computer."
I have ten of these boards that are not already spoken for.
The Z180 SBC Mark IV's are 4-layer boards, 100mm x 160mm, same size as
other N8VEM ECB boards. Because of the 4-layer design, they cost $25
plus shipping: $3 in the U.S., $10 internationally. Delivery insurance
is at the buyer's option. Paypal to the e-mail address in this posting
is the preferred form of payment.
--John Coffman
Hello John,

May I work as tester please and may I have one of these PCB? 35$ are
coming with PayPal.Is this ok?

Regards

Wolfgang
--
Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hansastrasse 9

DE - 21 502 Geesthacht
Deutschland / Germany

Phone: +49 4152 93 18 130 NEW!!!
John Coffman

Wolfgang
J. Alexander Jacocks
2013-12-10 22:01:01 UTC
John,

What does this mean, on the parts list:
C4 22-47uF 10v

22 or 47 uF depending on something else?

Thanks!
- Alex
<
2013-12-10 22:21:30 UTC
Alex,

"22-47uF 10v" just means that the value is not critical.

Any capacitor, probably electrolytic, in that range is okay. 10v means
any voltage rating 10v or higher. It is very unnecessary to go higher,
since if you look at the schematic this cap is part of the +5v power
supply. 10v allows for a little margin, and is a readily available
voltage rating. Caps in the range 22uF, 33uF, up to 47uF are also
readily available capacities.

C4 is part of the board power decoupling, and you want a capacitor to
store energy right on the board near components. Gates switching can
result in current transients, and a nearby power source can fill the
instant need. Most of the really high speed transients are handled by
the 0.1uF ceramic/monolithic caps spread all over the place, and C4 is
there to back them up.

--John
John,
J. Alexander Jacocks
2013-12-17 04:27:58 UTC
All,

I just uploaded a BoM, in Excel format, using Mouser part numbers. There
are a couple of blanks, mostly headers, since I have enough of those to
last me until doomsday.

Hopefully, this might be of use to someone.

- Alex
2013-12-17 05:46:56 UTC
Even if not ordering from Mouser, sometimes cross-checking data sheets
is a help to people.

Thank you,
--John
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
John,
C4 22-47uF 10v
22 or 47 uF depending on something else?
Thanks!
- Alex
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM, John Coffman
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Wolfgang Kabatzke
Post by John Coffman
arrived late Monday. Shakedown of these boards commences
as of
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
now.
Post by Wolfgang Kabatzke
Post by John Coffman
With the high integration of the Z180, many functions are
moved
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
onto the
Post by Wolfgang Kabatzke
Post by John Coffman
the board. Truly a "Single Board Computer."
I have ten of these boards that are not already spoken for.
The Z180 SBC Mark IV's are 4-layer boards, 100mm x 160mm,
same
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
size as
Post by Wolfgang Kabatzke
Post by John Coffman
plus shipping: $3 in the U.S., $10 internationally.
Delivery
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
insurance
Post by Wolfgang Kabatzke
Post by John Coffman
is at the buyer's option. Paypal to the e-mail address
in this
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
posting
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Wolfgang Kabatzke
coming with PayPal.Is this ok?
Regards
Wolfgang
from it,
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
2013-12-17 09:30:55 UTC
Hi John,

the PCB didnŽt arrived me yet....

I studied the design and I have an idea for the next version of Mark IV.

What do You think about changing U28 from 74LS682 to 74LS688 (DL8121D,
AMZ8121, 74HC688))? I use this IC often because I have problems to order
74ls682. And: the /IORQ You may connect direct as Gate-Input to 74LS688.
You can then delete U19C and U19D...

I think this works.

Best regards

Wolfgang
2013-12-17 19:39:31 UTC
Wolfgang,

I am aware of the LS688, and in several ways it is very useful,
especially with that "enable" input. For I/O device selection, I prefer
to use the LS682 because the "Qx" inputs have internal 20K pull-up
resistors. This removes the need for a pull-up resistor pack, which,
saves board space.

On the SBC Mark IV, you will also note the use of MAX233, instead of the
more common MAX232. Again, this is a space-saving choice to remove the
need for external support components.

--John
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hi John,
the PCB didn´t arrived me yet....
J. Alexander Jacocks
2013-12-26 23:25:00 UTC
John,

I have completed my basic build of the board. If I'm using a 33 MHz
Z8S180, I should use a 12.288 MHz oscillator, I'd assume, to yield a ~24.5
MHz operating frequency. To test, I'd assume that P3 takes the standard
N8VEM cable, at 12800 bps, based on the testing page? I noticed that the
12.288 MHz frequency isn't listed. That frequency will be hard to match.
I also bought an 18.432 MHz crystal, but I'd suspect that my 33 MHz Z180
will probably not over clock to ~36 MHz.

Are there any other ways to change the speed of the serial interface?

Any other testing suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!
- Alex
J. Alexander Jacocks
2013-12-27 15:18:12 UTC
To follow up my own email, I loaded the test firmware, and don't see the
main LED change color, or the SD card LED light up. At power on, the
central LED is green, and remains that way. It never changes to red,
indicating a halt.

I have not, yet, attempted serial communications, as I can't find a
machine/comms program that is capable of 12800 bps operations, though I
suspect that Windows could do it. I'm using the 12.288 MHz crystal, and a
33 MHz Z180, for theoretical 24.5 MHz operation.

Thanks!
- Alex
2013-12-27 16:22:29 UTC
Alex,

Wayne and I are at the stage that two sets of s/w need to merge. How we
will do that will play out over the next couple of days.

I, too, have a 33Mhz Z180 -- the "advanced S-class processor" -- in the
words of Setup. For the moment, run at one of the "magic" frequencies
required by the lower Z180 processors (in Mhz):

6.144
9.216
12.288
18.432

At reset, the CPU comes up running at 1/2 osc. It may be shifted to 1x
osc. if it is an SL1960 processor or higher. If it is the "advanced"
processor, it may be shifted to 2x osc.

However, RAM and ROM speeds actually determine how fast one can run.
Wait states will play a role at the higher speeds. You may safely use
the 12Mhz and 18Mhz oscillators for board testing.

Later today I will post a demonstration "setup" program on the Wiki.

===========

Reading your later e-mail: That "TEST1.HEX" requires a 9.216Mhz
oscillator, and communicates at 9600bps. You got it right, the CPU is
trying to communicate at 4/3 * 9600 --> 12800bps. That is a
non-standard rate that no terminal program is going to use. If you are
in a hurry, modify the source code to use DR=0 in the cntlb0 reg. and a
new SSS=2 value. That should set you up (at 1/2osc) for 9600bps.

--John

[BTW: SDCC 3.3.0 is to be avoided. Use 3.0.0, known to be good.]
J. Alexander Jacocks
2013-12-27 21:53:38 UTC
John,

I have yet to update to the test firmware #2, but I am still having issues
with #1. I get no output from the serial port, at 19200 bps (~18 MHz
crystal), and the SD card write protect LED never lights, and the central
LED never switches to red, indicating a halted CPU.

Where do you suggest that I test? I have a logic probe and multimeter
handy.

Thanks!
- Alex
<
2013-12-28 02:37:28 UTC
Alex,

You at least should be seeing garbage on the terminal screen from
mis-matched baud rates. Using a 12.288Mhz oscillator, the test program
pre-scales the clock/2 by a factor of 30 before dividing by 16.

12288000/2 /30 /16 --> 12800

The SDcard LED is not lit until just before the 'halt' instruction. You
are not getting that far.

Wayne had an issue with the /RESET signal not clearing U31 (ROM.sch).
If this 74LS174 does not reset to 00000, you will not be able to read
the ROM at boot time. This is the first place to look for a bad trace,
bad solder joint, and the like. The /RESET signal comes from U25.18
(LS240, pin 18).

Also, are the P11 and P12 jumpers set correctly for FLASH memory (2-3)
or EPROM (1-2)?

Keep me posted.

--John
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Any other testing suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks!
- Alex
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM, John Coffman
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
of the
more common MAX232. Again, this is a space-saving choice to remove the
need for external support components.
--John
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hi John,
the PCB didn´t arrived me yet....
I studied the design and I have an idea for the next
version of
Mark IV.
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
order 74ls682. And: the /IORQ You may connect direct as
Gate-Input to
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
74LS688. You can then delete U19C and U19D...
I think this works.
Best regards
Wolfgang
Am Dienstag, 10. Dezember 2013 04:53:40 UTC+1 schrieb John
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
arrived late Monday. Shakedown of these boards
commences as
of now.
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
size as
other N8VEM ECB boards. Because of the 4-layer
design, they
cost $25
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
posting
is the preferred form of payment.
--John Coffman
it, send
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
To post to this group, send email to
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
from it,
J. Alexander Jacocks
2013-12-28 04:16:42 UTC
John,

I believe that I have the jumpers set on the board properly for the
AM29F040B EEPROM that I'm using. I have set them the following way:

P1: 1-2
P2: no jumper
P4: 3-4, 11-12 (FCI SD card adapter)
P10: 5-6
P11: 2-3
P12: 2-3

I couldn't find a full reference to the values for P1 and P2, but took them
from the picture of your board. I also can't see any bad joints from U25
pin 18. I also switched to the 18 MHz crystal, so that I could use a bit
rate of 19200 bps.

Thanks!
- Alex
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
of the
more common MAX232. Again, this is a space-saving choice to
remove the
need for external support components.
--John
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hi John,
the PCB didnŽt arrived me yet....
I studied the design and I have an idea for the next
version of
Mark IV.
<
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
arrived late Monday. Shakedown of these boards
commences as
of now.
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
size as
other N8VEM ECB boards. Because of the 4-layer
design, they
cost $25
.
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
from it,
.
J. Alexander Jacocks
2013-12-28 04:18:13 UTC
Also, P9 is jumpered.

Thanks!
John Coffman
2013-12-28 16:07:35 UTC
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Also, P9 is jumpered.
check I also power my CF cards from the IDE interface.

--John
John Coffman
2013-12-28 16:05:38 UTC
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
John,
I believe that I have the jumpers set on the board properly for the
P1: 1-2
N8VEM legacy check
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
P2: no jumper
check this is not an option jumper, but a connector for
an external reset switch
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
P4: 3-4, 11-12 (FCI SD card adapter)
FCI uses that odd CD2 pin check
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
P10: 5-6
off, off, on, off check for board I/O select at 0xD?
-- this is currently what we are using
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
P11: 2-3
P12: 2-3
Flash ROM setting check
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
I couldn't find a full reference to the values for P1 and P2, but took
them from the picture of your board. I also can't see any bad joints
from U25 pin 18. I also switched to the 18 MHz crystal, so that I
could use a bit rate of 19200 bps.
P1 is for future Kontron ECB bus compatibility. 1-2 is the setting for
N8VEM, going back to a wrong guess as to the use of the C31 pin on the
96-pin DIN connector. This setting becomes important when there are
additional boards on the backplane. All newer boards, both CPU and I/O,
have this N8VEM/Kontron jumper. Old ones do not.

--John
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
the central LED never switches to red, indicating a halted CPU.
Where do you suggest that I test? I have a logic probe and
multimeter
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
handy.
Thanks!
- Alex
On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM, John Coffman
===========
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
remove the
need for external support components.
--John
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
Hi John,
the PCB didn´t arrived me yet....
I studied the design and I have an idea for the next
version of
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Mark IV.
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
What do You think about changing U28 from 74LS682 to
74LS688
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
(DL8121D,
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
arrived late Monday. Shakedown of these boards
commences as
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
of now.
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
With the high integration of the Z180, many
functions
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
are moved
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
onto the
CPU chip. This allows interfaces for CF cards
and an
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
SD card to
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
be on
the board. Truly a "Single Board Computer."
I have ten of these boards that are not already
spoken
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
for.
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
size as
other N8VEM ECB boards. Because of the 4-layer
design, they
cost $25
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
posting
is the preferred form of payment.
--John Coffman
emails from
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
it, send
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem.
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
Post by Dr. Wolfgang Kabatzke
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
from it,
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
To post to this group, send email to
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
it, send
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
To post to this group, send email to
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Post by J. Alexander Jacocks
from it,
Wayne Warthen
2013-12-29 04:26:41 UTC
Wanted to quickly pass along a bit of wisdom that just helped me stabilize
startup on my Mark IV. I had used ALS logic on most of the board except
for the bus logic. After seeing that my RESET signal was flaky, John
pointed out that LS logic is required for U25 because hysteresis is needed.
ALS logic does not have hysteresis. I changed my 74ALS240 to a 74LS240
and now startup is 100% reliable.

Not sure what chip family you have used Alex, but if you used ALS for U25,
you definitely want to switch to LS logic.

--Wayne
2013-12-29 19:05:01 UTC
Wayne,

I am glad that the "impossible-to-live-with" problem which you had, has
such a simple solution. My board has been built entirely with LS logic.

I have pushed the Z180 to 32Mhz (16Mhz oscillator, and clock multiplier
of 2x) at _zero_ wait states. I thought one wait state would be
required at that speed, but I am very pleasantly surprised. I am using
55ns SRAM with 70ns ROM.

--John
Wayne Warthen
2013-12-29 22:11:27 UTC
I did not have a 16MHz oscillator handy, so I tried using the speed doubled
mode with my 18.432MHz oscillator. Using TEST3, it is working perfectly at
36.864MHz with zero wait states!

"Confirming Clock speed PHI = 36871 (36149)"

Like John, I am using 55ns SRAM and 70ns ROM.

--Wayne
Wayne Warthen
2013-12-31 05:07:19 UTC
A quick progress update on my end...

I have a preliminary adaptation of RomWBW now working on the Mark IV
including SD Card and IDE CF Card interfaces. The SD Card support does
require the board mod John has posted. The board is very stable at this
point.

I am routinely running at 36MHz with 1 memory wait state and 2 I/O wait
states. Some CF cards have trouble at this speed. I suspect it is
possible to improve the IDE driver to be reliable with more CF cards at
these speeds. The driver has never been asked to operate at these speeds
before.

As time permits, I am going to start integrating John's code into the HBIOS
portion of RomWBW.

--Wayne
Jörg Schöning
2013-12-30 13:32:55 UTC
Hi John,

the board has come on the 27th of December. Today I have tested the board
for the first time and runs perfectly.
Oscillator 18,432MHz, 55ns SRAM, 100ns EPROM

Console serial port 0 speed at next boot? [38400]:
Date read: Mon 12/30/2013
Date [mm/dd/yyyy]:
Time read: 14:22:51
Time [hh:mm[:ss]]:
Do detailed system setup? [N/y]: y
Trickle charge backup is Disabled.
Diode (0,1,2) & Resistor (2,4,8) [d[+r]]:
CPU clock multiplier of 0..2 (0 means 1/2)? [2]: 2
Memory wait states (0..3)? [0]: 0
Input/Output wait states (1..4)? [1]: 1
If changing Crystal Oscillator frequency, be sure to do an ICE COLD boot.
ICE COLD startup at 9600 baud on next boot? [N/y]: N
The DS1302 non-volatile RAM has been updated.

Gettysburg Address

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this
continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to
the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that
nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long
endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have
come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place
for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It
is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not
consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men,
living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above
our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor
long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they
did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to
the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so
nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the
great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we
take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last
full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these
dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God,
shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the
people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the
earth.

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863

Confirming Clock speed PHI = 36862 (36140)

Goodbye! ...

Thanks for the fantastic board, John!

Best regards,
Joerg
(Luebeck, Germany)
Lars Nelson

Jörg Schöning
2014-01-01 12:41:59 UTC
*I wish all a Happy New Year.*
John,
I have programmed the Setup3A in 29C040 90ns and use 16 MHz of oscillator.
The board runs very well with one memory wait state two I/O wait state and
runs with 32 MHz.

Best regards,
Joerg