[N8VEM: 19626] Parts life notice SN74ALS646
Richard Cini
2015-05-22 14:12:54 UTC
All ‹

For those building the Dual IDE board, I received an EOL notice from
Digi-Key for the SN74ALS646 part. Last purchase date is 10/8/2015. Downside
is the cost ‹ $9 each when I ordered them a few weeks ago.

Rich

--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers
2015-05-22 16:09:06 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
All,<br>
Unicorn Electronics has both the 74LS646 (2.99) and 74ALS646
(4.99).&nbsp; Either chip should be okay.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.unicornelectronics.com">www.unicornelectronics.com</a><br>
The LS chip is available on eBay for $2, shipping from China.<br>
=========================================<br>
My photos of the Dual IDE board show the ALS version, simply because
it was the cheaper chip when I ordered way-back-when.<br>
--John<br>
On 05/22/2015 07:12 AM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
font-size: 14px;">All &#8212;</div>
font-size: 14px;"><br>
font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; white-space:
pre;"> </span><font style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"
face="Calibri,sans-serif">For those building the Dual IDE
board, I received an EOL notice from </font>Digi-Key for the&nbsp;<span
style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><font
color="#333333"><span style="line-height: 13.42px;">SN74ALS646
part. Last purchase date is 10/8/2015. Downside is the
color="#333333"><span style="line-height: 13.42px;"><br>
font-size: 14px;">
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
-- <br>
Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
To post to this group, send email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
Visit this group at <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;N8VEM&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:n8vem+***@googlegroups.com">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
Paul Anderson
2015-05-22 16:57:48 UTC
What about this one?

https://octopart.com/cd74act646en-texas+instruments-3477802

Sent from my iPhone
All,
Unicorn Electronics has both the 74LS646 (2.99) and 74ALS646 (4.99). Either chip should be okay.
www.unicornelectronics.com
The LS chip is available on eBay for $2, shipping from China.
My photos of the Dual IDE board show the ALS version, simply because it was the cheaper chip when I ordered way-back-when.
--John
Tom Lafleur
2015-05-22 17:01:02 UTC
from TI site...

This Product is no longer available

*Replaced By* SN74ALS646A
<http://www.ti.com/product/sn74als646a/description> – The device has the
SAME FUNCTIONALITY and PINOUT as the compared device but is NOT an exact
equivalent. Minimum tpd limit changes only, December 1994

TI does not recommend using this part in a new design. This product
continues to be in production to support existing customers.
Post by Paul Anderson
[...]
~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~

Tom Lafleur
Paul Anderson
2015-05-22 20:43:29 UTC
And that one is a production part.

Sent from my iPhone
Post by Tom Lafleur
from TI site...
This Product is no longer available
Replaced By SN74ALS646A – The device has the SAME FUNCTIONALITY and PINOUT as the compared device but is NOT an exact equivalent. Minimum tpd limit changes only, December 1994
Tom Lafleur

Ian May
2015-05-23 10:11:15 UTC
The information from TI is that 74XXX646 parts will no longer be available
in DIP packages. The suggested replacement parts are small outline (DW
suffix) surface mount parts. I bought SN74ABT646ANT parts from Mouser. They
are listed at US $2.22 each while the SN74LS646NT is US $8.37. As with
74XXX245s only the LS parts have hysteresis on the inputs, so not using a
74LS646 may have unwanted consequences. Assuming Rich tested his new board
with the SN74ALS646s he mentioned they are OK (and I will find out if ABT
parts are OK). I have attached the advice from TI that I received from
Mouser which lists the devices Mouser has previously purchased from TI that
are subject to the changes (i.e. this list is a subset).
Cheers, Ian.
Tom Lafleur
2015-05-23 12:09:04 UTC
Ti web site still list the 74als646ant and higher output 74als646a-1nt as active parts in dip package... Where the non A version is listed as OBSOLETE.....

http://www.ti.com/product/SN74ALS646A/samplebuy

i~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~~~ _/) ~~i

Tom Lafleur

Richard Cini
2015-05-23 12:37:06 UTC
If you look on eBay for ³Huskerfan42011² he has them for $10 for 10. I just
bought a sleeve of them to have them in stock.

Rich

From: Tom Lafleur <***@lafleur.us>
Date: Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 8:09 AM
To: N8VEM-Post <***@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [N8VEM: 19635] Parts life notice SN74ALS646

Post by Richard Cini
All ‹
For those building the Dual IDE board, I received an EOL notice from Digi-Key
for the SN74ALS646 part. Last purchase date is 10/8/2015. Downside is the cost
‹ $9 each when I ordered them a few weeks ago.
Rich
--
Rich Cini
Collector of Classic Computers
http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
<Texas_Instruments_20150406000.pdf>
2015-05-23 14:39:37 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
FYI:&nbsp; "huskerfan" is a reliable supplier on eBay in the US.&nbsp; I have
used them several times.<br>
'the-cases' has the 646 part also:&nbsp; 2 for $2 (+ shipping).<br>
--John<br>
On 05/23/2015 05:37 AM, Richard Cini wrote:
type="cite">
$10 for 10. I just bought a sleeve of them to have them in
stock.</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
left; color: black; border-width: 1pt medium medium;
border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(181, 196,
223) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color; padding: 3pt 0in
0in;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">From: </span> Tom
Lafleur &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@lafleur.us">***@lafleur.us</a>&gt;<br>
&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
23, 2015 at 8:09 AM<br>
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@googlegroups.com">***@googlegroups.com</a>&gt;<br>
19635] Parts life notice SN74ALS646<br>
charset=ISO-8859-1">
output 74als646a-1nt as active parts in dip package...
Where the non A version is listed as&nbsp;<span
style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">OBSOLETE.....</span><br>
<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.ti.com/product/SN74ALS646A/samplebuy">http://www.ti.com/product/SN74ALS646A/samplebuy</a><br>
On May 23, 2015, at 3:11 AM, Ian May &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:***@gmail.com">***@gmail.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
no longer be available in DIP packages. The suggested
replacement parts are small outline (DW suffix)
surface mount parts. I bought SN74ABT646ANT parts from
Mouser. They are listed at US $2.22 each while the
SN74LS646NT is US $8.37. As with 74XXX245s only the LS
parts have hysteresis on the inputs, so not using a
74LS646 may have unwanted consequences. Assuming Rich
tested his new board with the <span
style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><font
color="#333333"><span style="line-height:
(and I will find out if ABT parts are OK). I have
attached the advice from TI that I received from
Mouser which lists the devices Mouser has previously
purchased from TI that are subject to the changes
(i.e. this list is a subset).<br>
Cheers, Ian.<br>
PM, Richard Cini <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:***@verizon.net"
target="_blank">***@verizon.net</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br>
0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204,
204); padding-left: 1ex;">
Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">All &#8212;</div>
Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><br>
font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; font-size:
14px; white-space: pre-wrap;"> </span><font
style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"
face="Calibri,sans-serif">For those building
the Dual IDE board, I received an EOL notice
from </font>Digi-Key for the&nbsp;<span
style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><font
color="#333333"><span style="line-height:
13.42px;">SN74ALS646 part. Last purchase
date is 10/8/2015. Downside is the cost&nbsp;&#8212;
$9 each when&nbsp;I ordered them a few weeks
255);"><font color="#333333"><span
style="line-height: 13.42px;"><br>
Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">
Emulator</div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/cini"
target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/cini</a></div>
href="http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32"
target="_blank">http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32</a></div>
-- <br>
subscribed to the Google Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
target="_blank">n8vem+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
target="_blank">***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br>
target="_blank">http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem</a>.<br>
For more options, visit <a
moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout"
target="_blank">https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.<br>
-- <br>
the Google Groups "N8VEM" group.<br>
from it, send an email to <a moz-do-not-send="true"